Knife Sharpening (Not Honing)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petey

Senior Cook
Ok, I'm looking for advice on getting my knives sharpened a few times per year. Sharpening as in putting them up to a grinder to renew the blade.
Anyone know of any inexpensive machinery or service that will do it for you?

Thanks

Chef's Choice 130 gets good reviews I have heard. I use a crock stick and it is pretty good for a while. Sur La Table has free sharpening once or twice a year--3 knives free, $1/inch over. I think they use the 130.

I would never use an electric sharpener with my good knives. I have used chefs choice before and really hated the results.

Suggest you try DMT Diamond Sharpeners, they are fast and effective for keeping knives sharp and not damaging knives like electric sharpeners can.

May I suggest you use a professional service. Get the knife blade in shape and from then on use the "steel", and if really needed use the diamond or ceramic sticks.

OBTW the best way to keep a knife sharp includes, at least, wipe after every use, if not clean w/ soap and water. Never put a good knife in a dishwasher, never put it in the sink, never let it sit overnight dirty, and never use it for anything it was not designed for.

No opening mail, no craft projects, no hacking bones, prying up a stuck lid, etc.

For those in the know, isn't it correct to use whetstones for the main shapening task, and to use a sharpening steel in between? It depends on the knife also, right? For instance, some knives should only be sharpened with a ceramic steel.

wxtornado said:
For those in the know, isn't it correct to use whetstones for the main shapening task, and to use a sharpening steel in between? It depends on the knife also, right? For instance, some knives should only be sharpened with a ceramic steel.

Lol, "ceramic steel" just sounds kooky.:LOL:

The manufacturer of my knives rcommends the Presto EverSharp knife sharpener. I have one, and if handled with the utmost care, it does a fantastic job on even your most expensive knives.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. Turns out I accicently found a restaurant supply store during work , stopped in and asked them and they gave me info on where to take my knives sharpened. Its only about 20 minutes from my home. Just have to find out how much $ it costs.

well, now that pdswife got decent knives for Christmas, I'm probably the only one left who still uses crummy knives. Guess I'd better start paying attention to threads like this.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/large/166.jpg

This is what most long term profesional chefs use. Norton Tri-stone. It costs more than most any common knive. I think this is a pic of the small version. On the standard size the stones are 11 1/4 inches long and 3 inches wide.

It has three replacable stones of varying coarsness. It will handle any knife and last a lifetime for an individual. As with anything, it takes a bit of time to learn how to properly sharpen a knife. Be carful of sub-standard products. I have never seen a full size Norton tri-stone for under $160. You can buy just the stones for roughly 25 dollars each, and in a home the only one you would really need is Medium.

IMO If you take your knives to a professional to be sharpened, he will probably do a good job. However, if you've paid $100 for a knife, and use it on a daily basis, you are going to see the rough job the professional has done.

Read up and learn to do it yourself. You may ruin a knife, but if you take your knives to a pro on a regular basis to be sharpened. You will ruin a knife.

BTW. use a diamond steel very sparingly.

Last edited:
Elcameron,

Why will taking a knife to a professional to sharpen it eventually ruin it?

Thanks,
Paul

As a woodworker, I'm constantly sharpening carving tools, chisels, knives etc. For my kitchen knives, I use a Japanese water stone like the one below. I prefer this method for one, because it removes the least amount of steel which will give my knives a longer life. Also, there are sharpening stones that are use water as a lubricant and others that use oil as a lubricant. I have found and read that using the oil the micro shavings from the blade just stick to the knife which in turn would become an abrasive instead of a lubricant.

There is a good tutorial on the Food Network site, and you can find articles on the web regarding sharpening. It is not hard to do as long as you have the patience. I sharpened a 10" chef, 10" slicer, boning & paring knife last weekend, it took me about 30-40 min. total.

(then you can sharpen everyone else's knives):ermm:

sharpeningstone-water-pr7051200

RajunCajun said:
Elcameron,

Why will taking a knife to a professional to sharpen it eventually ruin it?

Thanks,
Paul
It won't.

Just like anything else, when you give your knives over to a professional to sharpen you are taking a chance. Maybe the person will do an excellent job and really know what they are doing and maybe they won't. Just like when you bring your car to the mechanic or you go to a doctor. You need to find someone you trust.

Ah gotcha...I figured I'd missed the point somewhere along the way, and I do agree with it.

Thaks for the clarification.

Paul

I sharpen my own blade on an Arkansas stone we keep at work. One of the guys keeps his Japanese water stone there now, and I have to say I reall really like the edge it puts on my blade. There is a little more maintenance to caring for you water stone, but not enough that I think anyone would be put off by it.

If you're uncomfortable learning to sharpen your own knife, you can take it to a pro to have it ground.

I have used the chef's choice 130 with great results, although I've never tried it on any of my expensive knives. For them I use whetstones of two different coarsenesses. I do not own the 130, but am thinking about picking one up when I have some extra cash -- very quick sharpener, and a great edge.

Two ways that taking your knives to a professional will shorten the lifespan of your knives.

1. A pro uses a grinder to sharpen the knife, removing many times the amount of metal that hand sharpening removes. As the knife gets narrower, the beveled edge becomes a larger angle, the knife does not go through food as easily.

2. A pro will tend to create a dip in the blade near the bolster, especially if you have a German style heavy blade such as Wustoff, Henkles, Hofritz. This dip will be very evident when you are chopping herbs, and greens.

Once you have this dip in your knife, a considerable amount of metal must be removed to get a straight edge back.

As for personal preference: the pro will not put the fine edge on your knife that can be done with a stone. You will be able to see the rough edge from the grinder. You will be able to feel it as the knife goes through a piece of sushi, or raw meat. Some people are ok with that. The pro will make your knife sharp, and it will not take any of your time. However, most "PROFESSIONAL" knife sharpeners are professionals because they bought the machine and for no other reason.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom