"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Honestly????? You know you don't even need that - just soap and water. If it was needed restaurants would have been doing it for years because the Health Department would be making them. Hey, you didn't even ask for my address for that check - is this a scam????

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Just trust me....it's on the way! Gb gave me your address. It was kitchenelf's address, wasn't it?

Old 10-14-2006, 05:44 PM   #13
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
All we do at the end of every shift is set up a sanitizing bucket. InThe next shift, all it takes is some hot soapy water and a rince, no big whoop.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:50 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
Just trust me....it's on the way! Gb gave me your address. It was kitchenelf's address, wasn't it?
Of course it was. Everyone knows she moved to MA
Old 10-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #15
Executive Chef

The harsh chemicals for an automatic dishwasher will kill the blades.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:56 PM   #16
Head Chef

I don't put any of my good knives in the dishwasher because I feel that the detergent will be bad for them.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
A small bucket filled with dilute bleach (about 1/3 capful per gallon of water) does the trick. Dip, wipe, and you're clean!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:45 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Cooking knives and dishwashers

Here's info. from the Chef's Choice website on dishwashing knives:

+++++++++++++
Washing sharp knives in the dishwasher can be hazardous to the knife, the dishwasher and the cook!
It is too easy to reach into a dishwasher and get a nasty cut. Sharp knives can knick plastic-coated wire shelves and other utensils. The force of the water can dull knife-edges by pushing them against shelves or utensils. The combination of hot water and the chemicals in dishwasher detergent can leave stains on stainless steel cutlery that comes in contact with silver or silver-plated flatware or copper. (These stains don't effect the knife's performance.)
+++++++++++++++

Personal note:

Occasionally my "kitchen helpers" have been known to put my good knives into the dishwasher. Once I even found a paring knife, which had been lost for months, "hiding" on the floor of the dishwasher. Who knows how long it had been there? (I use modestly-priced paring knives because they have such adventurous lives--they are more likely to be broken or chipped than any other knife in my kitchen.)

That being said, I keep my dishwasher set to "energy-saving air dry" and I always use a gel dishwasher, which is less abrasive than the powder kind. (Some powdered dishwashing soaps may actually use sand as the cleaning/abrasive agent.) I wouldn't recommend knives in the dishwasher, but if they are apt to creep in when your back is turned, you can do something to minimize the problems.

Life is never perfect, alas! And I never turn down offers of help. (Although I usually try to handwash all the knives before the help arrives.)

Old 10-17-2006, 09:07 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
I have several Wusthofs and never put them in the dishwasher mainly because I've always read 'not to' on kitchen sites.

Is there a reason why? The handles are not wood and it seems they'd be alot cleaner having been sterilized in the dishwasher.

I've just been a'cooking and a'thinking all day long.

Yes, I agree on the handles!!

I put a brand new set of small steak knives in the dishwasher. When the machine finished, the handles looked real old and worn. I think that the hot water and rough detergent did a number on them and made the handles look so old!!

The varnish was all gone!!!

And BTW, a dishwasher does NOT serilize things - it sanitizes them. To sterilize, the water has to be at least 212 degrees or higher, the temp of boiling water.

It's true that dishes washed in a dishwasher are generally more free from bacterial contamination than with dishes washed by hand.

~Corey123.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #20
Master Chef

If I want something sterilized, I just add a splash of Clorox to the soapy water. It's good for wiping off your countertops and washing enameled woodwork, too.