Krumkake iron/pizzelle iron...what's the difference, if any?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I have a pizzelle iron and am quite adept at using it and have decided I would like to try my hand at making krumkake. I did a Google search for krumkake irons and, from what I see, they're not much different from my pizzelle iron.

Can anyone here tell me if I can use my pizzelle iron to make krumkake?

Katie, Suzanne has a Villaware pizzelle iron and it looks exactly like the Villaware krumkake iron except for the pattern it makes on the dough. I'd give it a try. Is the recipe for the batter the same for both? The pizzelle recipe she uses is fairly thick.

I looked into buying a Pizelle iron--but realized I could use my Krumkake iron. The difference, basically, is the pattern. My krumkake iron has a "heart" in the middle. Also, it has a wooden cone on which to roll the krumkake. I'm not buying a pizelle iron--but am eyeing my mom's "double" electric krumkake iron...good luck re: the krumkake...and please don't fill them <g>. Once you serve krumkake at Christmas time, well, you're stuck making them every year.

Last edited:
Katie, Suzanne has a Villaware pizzelle iron and it looks exactly like the Villaware krumkake iron except for the pattern it makes on the dough. I'd give it a try. Is the recipe for the batter the same for both? The pizzelle recipe she uses is fairly thick.

That's what I thought, Andy. The design really doesn't make any difference to me. My pizzelle iron has some really pretty designs anyhow. The pizzelle batter/dough is a bit different from the krumkake recipe, but I'm sure I can handle it. I have a wooden cone to roll either types of cookie on, so that's not an issue.

I probably won't get around to making them until after Christmas since time is rapidly running out. I've already added a recipe each of lebkuchen and fattigmands to my list. Hadn't originally planned to make either one, but some evil little cookie-eating voice on my shoulder made me do it.:wacko::wacko:

Glenn's mother mentioned on Tuesday that her mother used to make lebkuchen when she was a little girl and that it was her favorite homemade cookie. I'm not going to tell her I've made them. I'll just have Glenn's son put a wrapped box of them on her kitchen table while she's at our house for Christmas dinner. It will say Santa brought them.

Back
Top Bottom