"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #21
Cook

I have an LC saucepan, the one with the lid that turns into a skillet. I got it at the thrift store for $5. I also have a 5qt. Descoware Dutch Oven that I got on eBay for $10. I love that thing.

Our Tuesday Morning sells LC all the time. We also have an outlet 20 minutes away which is really nice.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #22
Senior Cook

I almost forgot--check out amazon.com for their lightning deals. Sometimes they have LC items. A couple of days ago they had a 5pc essential set in Cobalt for $179.99

Old 01-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
foodstorm,
I don't think the French enamel process is all that expensive, LeC actually bought the rights to produce this finish from a Belgian company (Descoware), I believe clever marketing and advertising in USA is what drove the price up (Being in Williams Sonoma's catalog helps too). I have been in Europe and their products are not so well known as in USA.
black chef, if you acess LE CREUSET you will get information on their outlets.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
foodstorm,
I don't think the French enamel process is all that expensive, LeC actually bought the rights to produce this finish from a Belgian company (Descoware), I believe clever marketing and advertising in USA is what drove the price up (Being in Williams Sonoma's catalog helps too). I have been in Europe and their products are not so well known as in USA.
black chef, if you acess LE CREUSET you will get information on their outlets.
Agreed, hype and marketing play a huge part in the retail price of any product, including LC. And you are probably right about the enamel--if they used the same process and mfr'd their enameled CI in a country with lower labor costs (as do Lodge and Batali [Copco], just to name a couple), it would definitely be less expensive. I'm sure that "made in France" contributes heavily to its (and Staub's) cachet, at least in the US market.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
My additional two cents LOL:
IKEA sells enameled cast iron cookware, it is a line called SENIOR. This cookware is made in France (light green with black interior), prices are about 1/3 or less of similar LeC pieces.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #26
Cook

Quote:
IKEA sells enameled cast iron cookware, it is a line called SENIOR. This cookware is made in France (light green with black interior), prices are about 1/3 or less of similar LeC pieces.
Thanks for that info.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Love the thought. When Buck and I lived in the Washington, DC area, we had a nice big IKEA near "enough" to us.

Unfortunately, however, where we live now, the closest IKEA is about 7 hours away (one direction). Boohoo. Oh, well.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Oh, thanks for the IKEA tip, we are getting an IKEA store in March : )
Old 01-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #29
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Le Creuset cookware is expensive for the same reason that All-Clad and Calphalon are expensive: They keep giving it away to televison chefs so you'll think it's an exceptioanl product and pay for not only the one you buy, but for the ones they had to give away, free fer nuthin, to get your attention.

The best, most cost effective enameled cookware ever made was Dansk enameled cast aluminum, and it was much easier to swing around the kitchen, too. I was really sorry to see them discontinue the line.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #30
Cook

IKEA | Cooking | Speciality cookware | SENIOR | Casserole with lid