Le Creuset cookware: why is it so pricey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caine, are you sure that wasn't Dansk enameled carbon steel? Have used some of that (mom had some as does my sis) and it was lilghter as steel is than iron as thickness is less, but cooked like no tomorrow...fantastic! I also was very sorry to see that line go. Chantal still makes a similar product but it is $$.
Yes, I am sure. They have a coated steel line, but they also had a coated cast aluminium line, which was discontinued several years ago. I remember seeing them at the Dansk outlet and making a mental note to pick up a couple of pieces after the Christmas rush. When I went back after New Years, they were all gone.

I use my pyrex measuring cup to scoop half the soup out, then lift it to get the rest out.

May I suggest a ladle? This is a nice set, and it's so cheap at Amazon.com that you'll have to order something else to go with it to get free shipping.

31FQ4YSCK5L._AA280_.jpg

I got my 2 as wedding presents 32 years ago. I use them all the time. The inside enamel is a little scratched, but I probably haven't been as careful as I could have been. I like the heaviness, I don't seem to scortch things as easily! I wouldn't make fudge or chocolate pudding in anything else.

Relative to Le Creuset equipment. I was at Macy's tonight, they have most of the Le Creuset cookware on sale. And I mean on sale: As an example, the 7.25 Qtr Round Dutch Oven from $245 to $141 They offer extra discounts if you pay with their credit card (10% off) or if you open a new account (15% off)
I bought that piece plus a small skillet (about 9 in in dia.) for $23.99 from originally $99.99
I personally, never care for Le Creuset due to their high pricing. However, I must admit that at these prices, they were hard to pass by.

I was at Macy's tonight, they have most of the Le Creuset cookware on sale.

Thanks for the tip! My enameled cast iron pieces are Staub (QVC) and I get so many compliments on the Gradient Orange pieces. People always think they're LC. I pretend to not be interested in silly, expensive LC, but in reality, I can't afford it! I'll definitely hit Macy's up TODAY.

I don'[t know if Le Creuset is cleverly designed or poorly executed.

I had two of the same casserole, one blue the other yellow. The blue weighed at least 1/4 pound more than the yellow.

It would be clever if the yellow had less mass so it would heat at the same rate as the blue as the blue, being darker, would absorb heat at a greater rate.

Or they could have been poorly cast and executed and Le Creuset could have poor quality control. Two similar items 5 1/4 inches in diameter deviating more than 1/4 pound ... No. People not familiar with the casting process will think this no big deal, people who ARE familiar with the casting process will find the deviation an indication of slip shod work.

So I come home one day to find all this colored iron sitting on the counter. So I say, Honey, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is this?

2 roasters, 2 casseroles, 3 skillets, a sauce pan .... great, more iron to go with the HUNDREDS of pounds of iron we already have .... the bottoms are marked $3.00, $5.00 ... they have obviously been used .... Hmmmm.

So I looked at and moved this this stuff for a couple of years, it was never suitable for anything I was making. I don't look at my cookware and think of what I can use it to make, I think of what I want to eat then get the suitable pan.

I did use one roaster, once. It competent but didn't seem to possess any magical qualities greater than those of Wagner or Griswold.

Sure, the enamel was nice but not so nice that had retail been paid I would have felt thieved from.

Enter eBay.

The two casseroles, one roaster and one skillet paid for a chunk of the DSLR.

I'm keeping the small sauce pan, it will work as a small casserole, and I'm keeping the roaster, it's the only one I have that size.

I'll probably keep the baby skillet, it will make a nice decoration.

The grill pan with the teflon coating ... not very functional .... I wonder what it will sell for. Hmmmm.

I don'[t know if Le Creuset is cleverly designed or poorly executed.

I had two of the same casserole, one blue the other yellow. The blue weighed at least 1/4 pound more than the yellow.

It would be clever if the yellow had less mass so it would heat at the same rate as the blue as the blue, being darker, would absorb heat at a greater rate.

Or they could have been poorly cast and executed and Le Creuset could have poor quality control. Two similar items 5 1/4 inches in diameter deviating more than 1/4 pound ... No. People not familiar with the casting process will think this no big deal, people who ARE familiar with the casting process will find the deviation an indication of slip shod work.

So I come home one day to find all this colored iron sitting on the counter. So I say, Honey, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is this?

2 roasters, 2 casseroles, 3 skillets, a sauce pan .... great, more iron to go with the HUNDREDS of pounds of iron we already have .... the bottoms are marked $3.00, $5.00 ... they have obviously been used .... Hmmmm.

So I looked at and moved this this stuff for a couple of years, it was never suitable for anything I was making. I don't look at my cookware and think of what I can use it to make, I think of what I want to eat then get the suitable pan.

I did use one roaster, once. It competent but didn't seem to possess any magical qualities greater than those of Wagner or Griswold.

Sure, the enamel was nice but not so nice that had retail been paid I would have felt thieved from.

Enter eBay.

The two casseroles, one roaster and one skillet paid for a chunk of the DSLR.

I'm keeping the small sauce pan, it will work as a small casserole, and I'm keeping the roaster, it's the only one I have that size.

I'll probably keep the baby skillet, it will make a nice decoration.

The grill pan with the teflon coating ... not very functional .... I wonder what it will sell for. Hmmmm.

I don't know why the deviation is weight, but I do know that your "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" has me in stitches. Took me about 3 seconds to figure it out. Very funny stuff. Gotta remember that one. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Wart,
I am not sure about what could be the reason for the weight difference in your LeC casseroles, it would be interesting to know the total weight of the pot to see the % of variation relative to total weight. A variation alone is meaningless on a process unless it can be characterized (compared and sized). My guess this is most likely a combination of paint/enamel thickness variation and machining of the upper rim.

LeC uses die casting for their casseroles, this is a quite consistent industrial process since the metal is forced into a mold by pressure, not gravity. This is why I am guessing there could be a difference due to machining, not casting of the part. Paint film thickness is extremely hard to control, I am not familiar with enamel process and I guess it should be as hard as painting.

I did a little calculation with the information you provided since I was curious about your comment. Considering the difference in weight (1/4 Lb. or 113 grams) and the iron density (7.87 gr/cm3), this weight difference translates into 14.3 cm3 of more material in the blue casserole. If both casseroles have a 5.25 in diameter, then the blue pot should be 0.33 in. taller, if the weight difference would be due only to the machining of the rim.

This is very significant, about 10 times more than regular machining tolerances. Unless the enamel LeC uses is very heavy (you can see the variation in enamel thickness in the raised lettering) or they can "pack" the cast iron differently, I am puzzled at this.
Also, you can check at the bottom of the pans, there sould be a code or number indicating from which tool they were made.

I'd call LeC asking for an explanation of this difference.

I don't know why the deviation is weight, but I do know that your "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" has me in stitches.

Glad you got a laugh, I bet you figured out I wasn't laughing when I said it.

I was exasperated.

Wart,
I am not sure about what could be the reason for the weight difference in your LeC casseroles, it would be interesting to know the total weight of the pot to see the % of variation relative to total weight. ....

I did a little calculation with the information you provided since I was curious about your comment. Considering the difference in weight (1/4 Lb. or 113 grams) and the iron density (7.87 gr/cm3), this weight difference translates into 14.3 cm3 of more material in the blue casserole.

First I was wrong about the size and weight. I was going from memory, then I realized the information was still available. On eBay. Since the items sold about two months ago this can't be seen as advertising.

Both pans can be seen using item numbers 320187678981 and 320187683111

Yellow, 180mm/ 7 1/4 inch La Creuset casserole with iron lid, 1.5 Liter, 1 1/2 + Quart, . Just about 5 pounds.

Blue, same description, just about 5 1/2 pounds.

Just about means just under so figure 1/2 pound difference. I still have the lid for the sauce pan (same lid), 26.00 ounces.

16.49/21.65 22.78/41.28

5 vs. 7 inch pan = 38% greater circumference and about twice the bottom area, but the weight difference is also twice as great as I thought which comes out to 28~29 cc's more metal.

We can subtract 26 ounces for the lid .... I remember weighing each casserole without the lids and the difference being the same. Or awful darned close.

If it matters I weighed these on an Avery-Berkel 15 pound capacity trade legal scale. I trust it.

This is very significant, about 10 times more than regular machining tolerances. Unless the enamel LeC uses is very heavy (you can see the variation in enamel thickness in the raised lettering) or they can "pack" the cast iron differently, I am puzzled at this.

Cool, I hit 20, I can post links. ;)

Click here to open my web folder containing the auction graphics,

And clicking on the following will open a larger version in a new tab or window.

When I shipped these (same buyer) I put the yellow in the blue, or the blue in the yellow, I forget. One way fit deeper than the other. Orientation to each other mattered, and yes, I put a wood block between them and shimmed so they wouldn't wedge and padded them so they wouldn't crack or burnish eachother. Had to take such measures to get them inside an international flat rate box, the Australian buyer was very happy.

Last edited:
All the Le Creuset prices I've seen are almost twice those of the analogous Lodge products. Is there a cheaper line of Le Crueset? I may be thinking of Chantal, but I too seem to recall there being a line of enameled cast iron made in China that was around the same price as Lodge's imported, enameled stuff.

That isn't Chantal! Chantal is enamel coated carbon steel, not cast iron.

ChefJune,
I've seen the stuff DrThunder88 is referring to in some Home Goods stores. It is enameled cast iron. BTW, I've seen also Chantal and LeCreuset enameled steel stuff... mostly their big tall pans.

Alternatives & Price Cuts & Outlet Stores

We've been fortunate enough to have been given 2 Le Creuset pieces as gifts. We bought our 7-1/2 qt dutch oven on sale at a Great Indoors which was shutting its doors. Finally, we added a large stock pot available at Tuesday Morning - and it comes with full warranty, not a factory second like many/most items at Ross/Marshalls/TJMaxx. :)

And now, coming to our area at the end of March, none other than a Le Creuset outlet store. I can't wait for that. :cool:

Also, competition for Le Creuset has been "heating" up, with competitors such as Calphalon and a few others stepping into the game. I would look for the prices of this cookware to come down in the near future. ;)

Senior cookware is made in CHINA

I was just at IKEA yesterday and the Senior cookware that I found is blue and it is marked Made in China very clearly on the bottom. I also don't think the interior is enamel - if it is, it's a very rough enamel - not what I wanted at all.

My additional two cents LOL:
IKEA sells enameled cast iron cookware, it is a line called SENIOR. This cookware is made in France (light green with black interior), prices are about 1/3 or less of similar LeC pieces.

Back
Top Bottom