Le Creuset cookware: why is it so pricey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
why do they charge sooooooo much $$$ for this cookware?

is it really THAT much different than the new enameled from lodge, calphalon, tramontina, etc.?

It's considered the best and they charge that much for the name and reputation. I can't say if it's better than the other brands but it is very good.

Look at their outlet stores for discounted cosmetic seconds.

The Lodge enameled line is around the same price (maybe a few bucks less) then the LC if memory serves.

All the Le Creuset prices I've seen are almost twice those of the analogous Lodge products. Is there a cheaper line of Le Crueset? I may be thinking of Chantal, but I too seem to recall there being a line of enameled cast iron made in China that was around the same price as Lodge's imported, enameled stuff.

Last edited:
LeCreuset is expensi ve because it's made very well, and of course it's made in France. I have over 30 pieces of LeC and found it to be the best cookware I've ever used. With one or two exceptions, all of my cookware is cast iron either enamed or black Lodge. If you've ever used LeC you would know what I mean about the quality and price justification. It will last a lifetime if properly taken care of.
BTW, I NEVER pay retail for my LeC. I buy from outlets and I buy "seconds." Neither me nor the clerk has ever been able to find the flaw except on one pot lid, there was a little stain of red paint on a red Dutch oven lid. Like I care. :LOL: I got the DO at half price.

LC enameled cast iron is so costly is because each piece is an original--each has its own mold that is used only once. Also, there is something about the French enameling process that is quite labor intensive, which also adds to the cost. Reputation also contributes a lot to price, LC has earned it because its product and its warranty are top notch.
I have to agree with Drama Queen, you don't have to pay retail for good quality LC--I shop the outlet and the savings are big.

Last edited:
LC enameled cast iron is so costly is because each piece is an original--each has its own mold that is used only once. Also, there is something about the French enameling process that is quite labor intensive, which also adds to the cost. Reputation also contributes a lot to price, LC has earned it because its product and its warranty are top notch.
I have to agree with Drama Queen, you don't have to pay retail for good quality LC--I shop the outlet and the savings are big.

ok, so where is the Le Creuset outlet store?

Le C is made at fair market wages in a European country. Original Lodge enameled pots were made in this country at Union wages and were also pricey. Lodge has since moved it's enameling to China (check their boxes, country of origin is listed.)

Is the Le C product better? My experience is yes, the enameling is harder and less prone to chipping. I've paid good money for cheap cookware earlier in my life and won't make that mistake again.

I wonder if it's because they were featured on the Bill Cosby show (remember the gorgeous orange set of pots that they used (let's see---Mom is a lawyer and Dad is a doctor---yep they can afford them and maybe that was the subtle hint) they may not have been the real McCoy but they sure looked like it though they never referred to them on the show "Rudy, please get Dad that LC pot over there"........but would I like to own some.?.......of course...if anyone knows of any outlet stores in Houston let me know.......

After coveting LC pots for many I bought my first piece last summer at HomeGoods. A big 8 qt. French oven (Dutch Oven) for half the price I saw at the high end kitchen store at the mall. I love it and use it constantly. So much so that it's permently parked on my stovetop. I've seen them at TJ Maxx as well. It's a hit and miss thing. Every once in awhile they'll get a big shipment with a decent selection.

ok, so where is the Le Creuset outlet store?
Try outletbound.com

You get the best savings at the outlet when you sign up on their preferred customer list--they'll mail you coupons for 30% off specials, extra % off oncloseouts and they have a big sale in the fall.
You can also try looking for LC in places like Marshalls, TJMaxx, HomeGoods (discount/seconds stores), but those pieces always seemed pretty banged up to me, but the ones in the outlet are pretty near perfect.

:)If your really lucky you might find some at a garage sale,estate sale or thrift store. Not everybody knows what it is.

I too have seen them at TJ Maxx, Marshall's & HomeGoods for a lot less than the suggested retail price. Sometimes you can find pieces at your local Salvation Army or Rescue Mission Thrift stores. I found one at the Salvation Army thrift store in Ft. Lauderdale for $5 & it looked brand new.

I'm like PytnPlace. My Le Creuset Dutch ovens are permanently on my stove. They get used ALL the time. This weekend I made a fabulous batch of French onion soup per Cook's Illustrated and don't think I'd have had the great results I had if I'd used anything other than my Le Creuset. Used my little LC skillet for this morning's pork sausage at breakfast time.

I, too, never pay full retail for my pieces. I bought my little skillet for 99 cents at one of eBay's "last minute" auctions. After shipping, I think it was less than $10. How great is that?!

IMO this cookware is 100% worth the price. I am trying to figure out what I want to buy next.:-p

The ones that I've seen at TJMaxx and Homegoods have looked very nice. The one I got at Home Goods looked great. I wouldn't buy it if it was banged up.

In all the truth it is all those kapitalist pigs stealing from us poor proletarians, bloodsuckers. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

It is a wonderfull product and ususally sold in upscale stores so they can charge whatever the heck they want, why not. People are paying, might as well charge more. Just like anything else there. But if you search the internet you can find at pretty reasonable price.

I coveted after a LC dutch oven for YEARS, last year I finally got a nice dutch oven and a few other pieces - on ebay of all places. I got a 5 quart flame dutch oven for $80, and it is like new.

There is a LC outlet south of Chicago in Indiana, I forget the town it is in,but it is between Indy and Chicago. There may be other LC outlets, not sure. Also, the Pottery Barn Outlet near my house carries outlet good from William Sonoma and I've seen LC in there also.

I'm like PytnPlace. My Le Creuset Dutch ovens are permanently on my stove. They get used ALL the time. This weekend I made a fabulous batch of French onion soup per Cook's Illustrated and don't think I'd have had the great results I had if I'd used anything other than my Le Creuset. Used my little LC skillet for this morning's pork sausage at breakfast time.

I, too, never pay full retail for my pieces. I bought my little skillet for 99 cents at one of eBay's "last minute" auctions. After shipping, I think it was less than $10. How great is that?!

IMO this cookware is 100% worth the price. I am trying to figure out what I want to buy next.:-p

Katie, I'm with you and PytnPlace, All of my LC is out where I can see it (the shelves are groaning, lol!)! It is so beautiful, I can't imagine hiding it away when it's not in use!

Tuesday Morning is another seconds/discount store that carries LC, btw.

Last edited:
Have yet to see them at our Tuesday Morning but I know the girls who work there and will use my charm on them to let me know when they think some might be coming in----I've gotten some fabulous discount high end items there...unfortunately I will be leaving on the 24th for another round of cold blast weather.........can't wait........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom