"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
Master Chef

Julio, you just can't beat Corning Ware and you'll pay a fraction of the price you would for Le Creuset. I've been personally using this brand practically as long as they've been in business....and still have some of the earliest pieces.
The bakeware is much more attractive these days.

Amazon.com CorningWare: Bake & Serve Sets, Bakers & Casseroles, and more

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Early last month before I made the OP I was at target and bedbath and beyond and I was looking at the corningware 17 piece set for $59.99 I was close to getting it but later changed my mind. I do like the ramikens alot.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

We use Corningware ramekins for individual chicken pies.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

stoneware

I have different pieces for different uses.. Long rectangular for casseroles, square, oval, flat with no sides for pastries.. my fav is a 6 inch long 4 inch deep with a lid. I cook meat in this one, it makes its own juices and keeps the meat very moist. I have pieces of stoneware that are 15 years old and the only one that has broken was the one my husband dropped on ceramic tile. The thing is with the heated oven... you can't heat the stone then put cold food on it - it will crack also you can't put cold food on stoneware then put it in a hot oven.. the contrast is what causes the breakage. ANY stoneware will do that so when cooking frozen foods put them in/on the stoneware, then the oven, THEN turn the oven on.. the gradual heating instead of the blast of heat on cold will keep it from breaking.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetgamma View Post
I have different pieces for different uses.. Long rectangular for casseroles, square, oval, flat with no sides for pastries.. my fav is a 6 inch long 4 inch deep with a lid. I cook meat in this one, it makes its own juices and keeps the meat very moist. I have pieces of stoneware that are 15 years old and the only one that has broken was the one my husband dropped on ceramic tile. The thing is with the heated oven... you can't heat the stone then put cold food on it - it will crack also you can't put cold food on stoneware then put it in a hot oven.. the contrast is what causes the breakage. ANY stoneware will do that so when cooking frozen foods put them in/on the stoneware, then the oven, THEN turn the oven on.. the gradual heating instead of the blast of heat on cold will keep it from breaking.
Did you read this entire thread gourmetgamma? You confirmed my point.
I don't understand why someone looking for all purpose bakeware would invest in over priced Le Creuset stoneware, or any stoneware for that matter. All anyone needs is one disaster like I had to be convinced, when there is other bakeware that can be safely used in a preheated oven.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote