Lining baking pans in toaster ovens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I want to bake cookies in my toaster oven. Is it safe to use a Silpat mat or parchment paper to line the baking pan? Is greasing the pan the best option, even though it's a bit messy?

Silicone mat versus parchment paper

I recently got a silicone mat and I use it in my toaster oven all the time. I like the way it evenly cooks through food through without burning the bottom. Parchment paper won't protect the bottom of the food like the silicone fiberglass weave mat will. That's just my preference (cookies were amazing on the mat).

I recently got a silicone mat and I use it in my toaster oven all the time. I like the way it evenly cooks through food through without burning the bottom. Parchment paper won't protect the bottom of the food like the silicone fiberglass weave mat will. That's just my preference (cookies were amazing on the mat).

Awesome! Which one did you get? Would you post the link?

Parchment is excellent as far as non stick. My wife uses parchment for cookies all the time and we use it for many other kitchen duties.

But use caution in a toaster oven. The heating elements are very close to the wire shelves.
I put a roll wrapped in parchment paper into my toaster oven once and it started to burn the paper.
No big deal resulted except for the roll was ruined. Just my experience.

Parchment is excellent as far as non stick. My wife uses parchment for cookies all the time and we use it for many other kitchen duties.

But use caution in a toaster oven. The heating elements are very close to the wire shelves.
I put a roll wrapped in parchment paper into my toaster oven once and it started to burn the paper.
No big deal resulted except for the roll was ruined. Just my experience.

Thanks for the heads up about the parchment paper! I think a silicone mat is what I'll use.

Thanks for the heads up about the parchment paper! I think a silicone mat is what I'll use.

Parchment laying flat in a pan under cookies shouldn't be a problem. Roll_Bones' situation was different. He wrapped a roll in the parchment which means it was much closer to the heating element.

Hmm. I have a silpat, will have to start using it in the TO. I've used parchment with no problem, but as Andy says, best to use it flat.

Drat, my silpat is too big for the TO.

Last edited:
Parchment laying flat in a pan under cookies shouldn't be a problem. Roll_Bones' situation was different. He wrapped a roll in the parchment which means it was much closer to the heating element.

Thanks for clarifying, Andy. There's also the option of just greasing the pan, which is a bit messier :(

Exactly. My circumstance was very different. I see absolutely no reason to be concerned with parchment as log as its lining a pan.

Its inexpensive and this is its purpose along with many other uses that have been born from it.

Exactly. My circumstance was very different. I see absolutely no reason to be concerned with parchment as log as its lining a pan.

Its inexpensive and this is its purpose along with many other uses that have been born from it.

That's good news because I'd have to cut my silpat to make it fit my toaster oven pan.

Back
Top Bottom