Looking for a a new pepper grinder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
Looking for a a new pepper grinder, any reccomendations? My current one has been giving me trouble.

i'm coming near the end of my stop-gap coarse ground pepper container, waiting for a great pepper grinder to jump out at me. ready-to-go coarse ground pepper is okay for the stove top, not the best for my plate....

I've had this William Bounds ceramic grinder mill for over 17 years and love it. I can choose "Fine, Medium or Coarse" grind. It grinds the peppercorns accurately, easily and in more than adequate quantities for all I've ever wanted.

I use it, on the average, twice a day and it's never failed me yet and it didn't break the bank when I bought it.

I've had this William Bounds ceramic grinder mill for over 17 years and love it. I can choose "Fine, Medium or Coarse" grind. It grinds the peppercorns accurately, easily and in more than adequate quantities for all I've ever wanted.

I use it, on the average, twice a day and it's never failed me yet and it didn't break the bank when I bought it.

Thank you for showing that one, Katie. I'm going to order one!:chef:

I got this one about a year ago.
Trudeau Elite Graviti Pepper Mill

I have Arthritis & Neuropathy in my hands, making it hard to
use a Pepper Mill. This one is Battery powered, and works great.
It does have some drawbacks though....it has a small hopper, so
you need to refill it more often. Otherwise it's quick, easy and
cool. Also everybody will want to use it because it's fun;
resulting in it needing to be refilled again.

I bought it on Amazon.com; but you may be able to find it
at some places locally.

Last edited:
I love my old Peugeot. I've had it for years and it has a huge history. When I went to replace it, my local spice merchant took one off his shelf and showed me how to take it apart, clean and fix it. It may not have had the nine lives of a cat, but pretty darned close.

I've used a Turkish coffee grinder for my pepper grinder longer than I care to remember. Who remembers Jeff Smith who used to be the "Frugal Gourmet" and turned out to be a pedophile? Anyway, he always used a Turkish grinder and I just had to have one. I got it for a Christmas gift, I think it was sometime in the 70's and I've used it daily ever since. I love it as much now as I did then, and it's really one of my favorite kitchen things.
You can get one here, it's worth every penny........Turkish Brass Coffee Mills Turkish Coffee Grinders TurkishGiftBazaar.com

I've had a lot of pepper mills with various shortcoming. But this one, Prepsolutions Progressive, is near perfect:
Amazon.com: Prepsolutions by Progressive International Pronto Folding Crank Mill: Kitchen & Dining

The crank folds away. It's easy to fill, the downfall of many otherwise good mills. A window slides open in the concave top to reveal the filler hole. It doesn't shed grounds when you move it or set it down. It grinds easily, continuously as you crank. The output is substantial. It is easily adjustable, and the settings are repeatable. And the price is right.

Like a few others, we have the Unicorn Mills Magnum (actually, three Magnums. One for white pepper that they made specially for us withoutnextra charge--it has a white top and black base, an all-black Magnum for black pepper, and their salt mill). All three have given flawless performance. The original recommendation had been from Cook's Illustrated.

I can grind into the lid and it doesn't leave grinder dust on my table.

img_1076897_0_b465b80125b0cea8d1ecad89797c49b8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom