Looking for thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I am in search of a digital instant-read thermometer as well as a probe thermometer to use while foods are in the oven or on the grill. What are the best of both types?

From Cook's Illustrated, they recommend ThermoWorks' Thermapen, for $85. Is it worth it? Is it really the best?

As for the probe, Cook's Illustrated also recommends Thermoworks.

So it that the best route to go or does anyone else have any suggestions?

You can buy a perfectly good and accurate digital thermometer for $10-$15. For a remote probe thermometer, look for a Polder. They're all you will need and cost about $25-$30.

Buck and I have a Polder remote probe thermometer, which has served us well. Can't remember how much we paid for it. Probably less than $20.

I think, if I remember correctly, our instant-read one is a Polder, too. Not too expensive either.

Bought both at either Linens 'n Things or Bed, Bath & Beyond and used coupons to reduce the cost.

When you say it's worth it, why is that? What makes it so much better? Is it just its speed or is there something more?

I like the size of the probe. It is very thin so when I poke it in meat it does not leave a gaping hole. Also because of how thin it is I can get it into very thin items. it is very accurate and super fast. It only takes a few seconds instead of 30 or 40 seconds that other thermometers take to finally reach the temp.

I picked up a type K meter and hypodermic type thermoprobe from Cole Parmer. Both pieces were something like $90 combined.

I just bought a Thermapen last week. I like that you just open it and it turns on automatically. It reads the temp almost instantly so that's all the less time you have to keep the oven or grill open allowing all your heat to escape.

I am in search of a digital instant-read thermometer as well as a probe thermometer to use while foods are in the oven or on the grill. What are the best of both types?

From Cook's Illustrated, they recommend ThermoWorks' Thermapen, for $85. Is it worth it? Is it really the best?

As for the probe, Cook's Illustrated also recommends Thermoworks.

So it that the best route to go or does anyone else have any suggestions?

I have several thermometers and I can say the Thermopen is by far the best I've ever used. It's a true thermocouple, much faster & more accurate than the cheaper thermistor types. And I can attest to the fact that the Thermopen reads much, much faster than the cheapo models. Yeah, I'll grant you that $100 is a lot (I bought mine with 3 spare batteries) but if you need a fast accurate thermometer I don't know anything as good for anywhere close to the price.

Highly recommended!

I love the Weber brand. They market it as something for the grill, but I use it in my home as well. It's note only a probe, but it's a remote probe so you can carry the temp reader/alarm with you. I don't know the exact range on it, but I do know that it still provides readings when I'm at the neighbor's house, which is at least 75 yards away.

I've had a number of other probe thermometers and I have found, universally, that any time I really cranked my grill up and used the probe thermometer, it would ruin something in the probe. Either the gauge in the probe itself or the wire leading to the reader. The Weber is the only one I've had that can tolerate it.

You may want to see if there is a food service store in your area open to the public and then you can see them in person to decide which one if for you.

I love my Polder with a magnetic base and timer, and a 36 inch (or 42" or something) plug on the probe. The cord is long enough that it can be shut in the oven with the display setting out of the way on the side of the fridge. The timmer gets used almost every day and has been droped MANY times. I bought it along with a spare probe almose 5 years ago and the spare probe is still unoppened. I heard that the probe would not survive a drop-no problem yet but the security was like an extra $8 when I got the combo on Amazon.

I just used my new Thermoworks probe thermometer for the first time last week on a pork tenderloin... I already love it. I set the alarm for 160°, and after resting for a about 10 minutes the meat was perfect. IMO, anything from Thermoworks is good stuff.

The probe thermometer was only $19 + shipping online from Chef's Resource. It's the top rated probe thermometer by Cook's Illustrated. And no, I'm not getting any kickbacks.... :angel:

Back
Top Bottom