"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Does it come with something to hold the vegetable on with?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #102
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Does it come with something to hold the vegetable on with?
The one I have, which was the one mentioned or linked by Lard earlier, does. It has a big food holder that also acts to keep your hand away from the blades. Wearing a glove (IMO) while using the food holder would lessen your sensitivity or awareness of what you are doing. If you keep your hand on the holder and don't try to brush the loose food in you should be OK... until it comes time to clean it. I was much more aware of the blades cleaning it and getting it ready for use than actually using it.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I bought the DxW a mandolin for christmas one year, knowing that she would be slicing 10 lbs potatoes for new year's party. Even bought one of the medieval armour gloves to go with it.

Then, I thought about it a little more. I decided better not. She falls over on the floor at the slightest amount of blood and it wouldn't be a good idea if she was home alone using a mandolin.

It's still in the original box in the back of a drawer. I should use it sometime.
I just love blood and gore!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #104
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I just love blood and gore!
Yeah, me too, but not when it's self inflicted.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #105
Chef Extraordinaire

My idea of a perfect day is to spend it in an operating room watching a very complicated heart surgery.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #106
Senior Cook

Cleaning the Borner V-Slicer is safe and easy - just do it right away and use a kitchen brush. Yeah, I lose a bristle off the brush every once in awhile, but that's no big deal.

I love my Borner. You can get extra inserts for it from Simply Good Stuff. Call and ask if they can sell you an extra holder to hold the extra inserts. You have to call and place your order if you want the blade holder because it's not in their online catalog and I guess they don't always have them. You can also get an extra safety holder for something like $5.

The extra inserts will make Texas Fries and a smaller julienne than the one that comes standard with the V-Slicer.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #107
Cook

My first semester in culinary school we were introduced to the mandolin. Of course the school had really high quality nifty ones and I got used to them. So I went to the kitchen store to buy a good one of my own and was shocked at the price! I said ha, not me! I'll just get a cheap one! I noticed the guard wasn't quite as good, and had hard prongs instead of a spring-type.

Let's just fast-forward about 30 minutes to when I'm driving myself to the emergency room with my hand wrapped in a towel. The ER charge was more than the cost of the good mandolin. Live and learn, and the moral of the story is don't skimp!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #108
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Kat View Post
My first semester in culinary school we were introduced to the mandolin. Of course the school had really high quality nifty ones and I got used to them. So I went to the kitchen store to buy a good one of my own and was shocked at the price! I said ha, not me! I'll just get a cheap one! I noticed the guard wasn't quite as good, and had hard prongs instead of a spring-type.

Let's just fast-forward about 30 minutes to when I'm driving myself to the emergency room with my hand wrapped in a towel. The ER charge was more than the cost of the good mandolin. Live and learn, and the moral of the story is don't skimp!
I apologize for laughing. Martha Stewart used to tell her viewers to buy only the "very best". The she caught a lot of flack from her viewers. Not everyone has her money. So now she says "buy the very best you can afford." Sounds like you were following her later advice.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #109
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Kat View Post

Oy, that's a bummer! I have the Broner V-slicer mentioned earlier - just yesterday, I sliced 6 potatoes for my scalloped potatoes and ham casserole, no problems at all. It has prongs that you push with the handle to cut, and a very good guard. Worked great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scalloped ham and potatoes.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	16466  
Old 12-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

I picked up one of the Broener V-slicers at the Goodwill for fifty cents the other day...