Mandolin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does it come with something to hold the vegetable on with?

The one I have, which was the one mentioned or linked by Lard earlier, does. It has a big food holder that also acts to keep your hand away from the blades. Wearing a glove (IMO) while using the food holder would lessen your sensitivity or awareness of what you are doing. If you keep your hand on the holder and don't try to brush the loose food in you should be OK... until it comes time to clean it. I was much more aware of the blades cleaning it and getting it ready for use than actually using it.

I bought the DxW a mandolin for christmas one year, knowing that she would be slicing 10 lbs potatoes for new year's party. Even bought one of the medieval armour gloves to go with it.

Then, I thought about it a little more. I decided better not. She falls over on the floor at the slightest amount of blood and it wouldn't be a good idea if she was home alone using a mandolin.

It's still in the original box in the back of a drawer. I should use it sometime.

I just love blood and gore! :angel:

My idea of a perfect day is to spend it in an operating room watching a very complicated heart surgery. :angel:

Cleaning the Borner V-Slicer is safe and easy - just do it right away and use a kitchen brush. Yeah, I lose a bristle off the brush every once in awhile, but that's no big deal.

I love my Borner. You can get extra inserts for it from Simply Good Stuff. Call and ask if they can sell you an extra holder to hold the extra inserts. You have to call and place your order if you want the blade holder because it's not in their online catalog and I guess they don't always have them. You can also get an extra safety holder for something like $5.

The extra inserts will make Texas Fries and a smaller julienne than the one that comes standard with the V-Slicer.

My first semester in culinary school we were introduced to the mandolin. Of course the school had really high quality nifty ones and I got used to them. So I went to the kitchen store to buy a good one of my own and was shocked at the price! I said ha, not me! I'll just get a cheap one! I noticed the guard wasn't quite as good, and had hard prongs instead of a spring-type.

Let's just fast-forward about 30 minutes to when I'm driving myself to the emergency room with my hand wrapped in a towel. The ER charge was more than the cost of the good mandolin. Live and learn, and the moral of the story is don't skimp!

My first semester in culinary school we were introduced to the mandolin. Of course the school had really high quality nifty ones and I got used to them. So I went to the kitchen store to buy a good one of my own and was shocked at the price! I said ha, not me! I'll just get a cheap one! I noticed the guard wasn't quite as good, and had hard prongs instead of a spring-type.

Let's just fast-forward about 30 minutes to when I'm driving myself to the emergency room with my hand wrapped in a towel. The ER charge was more than the cost of the good mandolin. Live and learn, and the moral of the story is don't skimp!

:LOL: I apologize for laughing. Martha Stewart used to tell her viewers to buy only the "very best". The she caught a lot of flack from her viewers. Not everyone has her money. So now she says "buy the very best you can afford." Sounds like you were following her later advice. :angel:

Oy, that's a bummer! I have the Broner V-slicer mentioned earlier - just yesterday, I sliced 6 potatoes for my scalloped potatoes and ham casserole, no problems at all. It has prongs that you push with the handle to cut, and a very good guard. Worked great.

Attachments

• scalloped ham and potatoes.jpg
    scalloped ham and potatoes.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 163
I picked up one of the Broener V-slicers at the Goodwill for fifty cents the other day...
:-p

I really should check out the Sally Ann and Value Village, before I order one online.

I just picked up a cut resistant glove at local, overpriced kitchen/restaurant supply place, Ares Cuisine. It was in the ball park for price as compared with what is available at Amazon.ca. I didn't like any of their mandolins.

I have this spatula that I won at a Tupperware party in 1967. It used to be a nice white. Now it is a lovely yellow. It is plastic and so old that now the plastic has become very hard. This spatula has traveled with me everywhere I have lived, Hawaii, California, Texas, etc. I make sure of that. It can scrape a bowl so clean you would think the bowl was new. I made up the dough for the peanut butter cookies and used it to mix the dough by hand. Didn't miss one drop of flour when I was mixing it in. It does a better job than my KA. :angel:

I posted eary on in this thread that I had given away my old, not stainless steel but nickel plated Bron mandoline in favor of a Boerner V slicer. A while back, I found a much newer Bron in a thrift for about $12, and couldn't resist. Two days ago, in another thrift store, I found a like new Matfer #44595 mandoline for a like price, and again, couldn't resist. So now, I am using them both by way of comparison, both to each other and to the V slicer.

I posted eary on in this thread that I had given away my old, not stainless steel but nickel plated Bron mandoline in favor of a Boerner V slicer. A while back, I found a much newer Bron in a thrift for about $12, and couldn't resist. Two days ago, in another thrift store, I found a like new Matfer #44595 mandoline for a like price, and again, couldn't resist. So now, I am using them both by way of comparison, both to each other and to the V slicer.
Let us know how they compare and if you get the chance, post pix.

Well, Spike noticed my Oxo on the top shelf and got it down for me. He brought about five pounds on onions over to slice for French Onion soup. Whizzed right through them. So I decided to slice some potatoes for us for scalloped potatoes. I found that if I don't put a lot of pressure on the hand guard, it works much smoother than leaning on it. I sliced them pretty thin so as to facilitate the cooking time.

Well, Spike has my Shun 12" chef's knife, my 9 x 13 ceramic baking dish, and a few other items I never use. He now has his eye on my slicer. If I hadn't used it for the potatoes, I would have given it to him. But I think I will hang on to it for a while. It will get used more now that it is off the top shelf. :angel:

be lost without my two.i've had the small,hand held kuhn rikon on the right for about 10 years.it really has had some hammer during that time & is still razor sharp,their knives are pretty good too:cool:!!

Attachments

• MANDOLINS 001.jpg
    MANDOLINS 001.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 219
Back
Top Bottom