"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I picked up one of the Broener V-slicers at the Goodwill for fifty cents the other day...

I really should check out the Sally Ann and Value Village, before I order one online.

I just picked up a cut resistant glove at local, overpriced kitchen/restaurant supply place, Ares Cuisine. It was in the ball park for price as compared with what is available at Amazon.ca. I didn't like any of their mandolins.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #112
Chef Extraordinaire

I have this spatula that I won at a Tupperware party in 1967. It used to be a nice white. Now it is a lovely yellow. It is plastic and so old that now the plastic has become very hard. This spatula has traveled with me everywhere I have lived, Hawaii, California, Texas, etc. I make sure of that. It can scrape a bowl so clean you would think the bowl was new. I made up the dough for the peanut butter cookies and used it to mix the dough by hand. Didn't miss one drop of flour when I was mixing it in. It does a better job than my KA.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

Sometimes small, manual things can certainly do a better job
Old 10-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #114
Sous Chef

I posted eary on in this thread that I had given away my old, not stainless steel but nickel plated Bron mandoline in favor of a Boerner V slicer. A while back, I found a much newer Bron in a thrift for about $12, and couldn't resist. Two days ago, in another thrift store, I found a like new Matfer #44595 mandoline for a like price, and again, couldn't resist. So now, I am using them both by way of comparison, both to each other and to the V slicer.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I posted eary on in this thread that I had given away my old, not stainless steel but nickel plated Bron mandoline in favor of a Boerner V slicer. A while back, I found a much newer Bron in a thrift for about $12, and couldn't resist. Two days ago, in another thrift store, I found a like new Matfer #44595 mandoline for a like price, and again, couldn't resist. So now, I am using them both by way of comparison, both to each other and to the V slicer.
Let us know how they compare and if you get the chance, post pix.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #116
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, Spike noticed my Oxo on the top shelf and got it down for me. He brought about five pounds on onions over to slice for French Onion soup. Whizzed right through them. So I decided to slice some potatoes for us for scalloped potatoes. I found that if I don't put a lot of pressure on the hand guard, it works much smoother than leaning on it. I sliced them pretty thin so as to facilitate the cooking time.

Well, Spike has my Shun 12" chef's knife, my 9 x 13 ceramic baking dish, and a few other items I never use. He now has his eye on my slicer. If I hadn't used it for the potatoes, I would have given it to him. But I think I will hang on to it for a while. It will get used more now that it is off the top shelf.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #117
Executive Chef

be lost without my two.i've had the small,hand held kuhn rikon on the right for about 10 years.it really has had some hammer during that time & is still razor sharp,their knives are pretty good too!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MANDOLINS 001.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	19216