Mandolin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gave away my classic Bron mandoline, with a perpendicular blade, and use my cheap-o plastic Boerner V slicer.

Thanks for the recommendation, Lard. That one is pretty reasonably priced, too.

And I also did not realize they came in a V blade pattern. I thought the ones I had seen the blade was on an angle.

And don't forget homemade potato chips :yum:
I do get paper thin slices and reasonably uniform, but not as quickly as I'm sure I could with a mandolin. It's probably safer with a mandolin with that thin of slices, too.

Mine's a v-shape. I don't think I've seen any that aren't v-shaped.

Lee Valley sells a really nice one:

Classic French Mandoline - Lee Valley Tools

Mine is not that fancy...I couldn't quite justify that amount for slicing cucumbers (for Swedish cucumber salad), onions, and potatoes (Jansson's Temptation). Otherwise, I don't use it very often. I use my FP for big batches of coleslaw.
That is a nice one. I don't want to be cheap when/if I buy a mandolin, but that's more than I think it's worth to me.

For things like caramelized onions, the slices don't have to be perfect, just thin. For that you could use a food processor.

I don't have a mandolin, I have a V-Slicer. Looks like this.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 314
For things like caramelized onions, the slices don't have to be perfect, just thin. For that you could use a food processor.

I don't have a mandolin, I have a V-Slicer. Looks like this.

Both of my food processors and the vegi attachment for my meat grinder produce occasional big pieces that get stuck in places they don't belong. Then I have to take the thing apart and fish them out. It drives me crazy.

It's looking more and more like what I want is a V-slicer. Does the food have to fit inside that bump on the food pusher or is it just a handle?

I received an Oxo mandolin as a gift and it is still sitting on the top shelf unopened. I also have a large injector I received as a gift. And a potato ricer. And a bunch of other gifts that I wish others would stop giving me. Oh I forgot, an apple peeler. Although I did use that a lot. Made more of a mess than it was worth. Made the slices too thin for an apple pie. As a joke I received a toy rolling pin. That is more useful than all the others put together. Great for rolling out dough into corners. I find that I never think to reach for any of these products when needed. My trusty knife does the job just as well.
\
I just got rid of my ice cream maker. It too went unused. Someday when I can bend down, or Spike is in the mood to do it for me, I am going to clean out under my cabinet where all the electrical stuff is stored. Like the 1.5 quart crock pot. On the stove top or in the oven does the job for me. An old toaster that I never use. It was my daughter's. She can have it back. But I doubt she wants it. I use the broiler. I may eat four slices of toast in a year. :angel:

It's looking more and more like what I want is a V-slicer. Does the food have to fit inside that bump on the food pusher or is it just a handle?

I'll let you know. I took one for the team and ordered that one Lard posted :)

Addie said:
I received an Oxo mandolin as a gift and it is still sitting on the top shelf unopened. I also have a large injector I received as a gift. And a potato ricer. And a bunch of other gifts that I wish others would stop giving me. Oh I forgot, an apple peeler. Although I did use that a lot. Made more of a mess than it was worth. Made the slices too thin for an apple pie. As a joke I received a toy rolling pin. That is more useful than all the others put together. Great for rolling out dough into corners. I find that I never think to reach for any of these products when needed. My trusty knife does the job just as well.
\
I just got rid of my ice cream maker. It too went unused. Someday when I can bend down, or Spike is in the mood to do it for me, I am going to clean out under my cabinet where all the electrical stuff is stored. Like the 1.5 quart crock pot. On the stove top or in the oven does the job for me. An old toaster that I never use. It was my daughter's. She can have it back. But I doubt she wants it. I use the broiler. I may eat four slices of toast in a year. :angel:

Just send those gadgets to me. I will use them. ;)

I'll let you know. I took one for the team and ordered that one Lard posted :)

The food pusher has teeth in it amd are attached to a spring inside that hump. And it slides up into the that hump depending on how big your food is. For a potato, the metal teeth go in just so far and is stopped by the sides of the guard sides. It is the food that decides how far up into the hump that the teeth will go. Certainly not meant for slicing strawberries. :angel:

I have my little kevlar glove for those pieces that the guard won't let the mandoline slice.

Do I want a mandolin and if so, what am I looking for? If I decide to get one, I want a good quality one, not something like this useless thing a friend gave me:

33814-albums291-picture5190.jpg

I almost never use my food processor. It's usually easier to chop or slice it by hand, and then it's much less clean up. E.g., I recently made a batch of rødkål (Danish red cabbage) and I couldn't be bothered to pull out a machine to shred the whole cabbage. It went quickly with a chef's knife.

But the thread about "instant onion soup" and all of those sliced onions has me thinking mandolin. I can slice quickly, but my thin slices aren't very uniform.

I bought a Kitchen Aide mandolin, it had attachments and a hand guard etc. It wasn't real expensive but for a plastic appliance, I thought it was pricey. Turned out to be very hard to use, clumsy and difficult to change the slicing blades. The food guard wouldn't stay on the food and a the plastic arm broke. Tried it once without the food guard - it bit me = twice. No stitches, but deep enough to bleed for a while. Last time I needed to slice veggies, I used my box grater - worked better and no cut fingers. I'm looking for a good mandolin as slicing is hard on my arthritic hands. If you find one, let us know.

For little quickie jobs we use the Kyocera hand-held ceramic blade mandolin. We had the non-adjustable one for 5+ years and it still sells for around $20. We finally replaced it, because the blade seemed to be getting dull, within the past year with the adjustable one that's a little bit more expensive. Either one is great for small jobs like slicing paper thin onions or cucumbers for salads without having to mess with the large mandolin. They also serve very well as truffle slicers on the rare occasions we have one!

Karen

Last edited:
Williams and sonoma have this really nice dicing mandolin. I want it so bad as its slices and dices but my husband won't let me have one.....something about me being accident prone in the kitchen.

Williams and sonoma have this really nice dicing mandolin. I want it so bad as its slices and dices but my husband won't let me have one.....something about me being accident prone in the kitchen.

There are two kinds of accident prone: There is the dropping and breaking things accident prone; And there is the cutting yourself accident prone... I take it you are the cutting yourself accident prone ;)

pacanis said:
There are two kinds of accident prone: There is the dropping and breaking things accident prone; And there is the cutting yourself accident prone... I take it you are the cutting yourself accident prone ;)

My husband would say both! Haha

Back
Top Bottom