"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have a salad shooter-like attachment for my meat grinder. I use it if I have to grate a lot of cheese. Stirling uses it a lot.

But for slicing, I find a bunch of weirdly shaped slices, partial slices, and slices stuck between the cone and the casing. I also have to cut the food into pieces that will fit through the feed shoot. By the time I have cut the food to fit, pushed it all through, cleaned up the stuff that fell off/didn't hit the plate, and washed the parts, I often wished I had done it by hand.
That's not actually true. With vegis I usually get so frustrated that I stop and switch to doing it by hand and curse the extra cleanup. Same problems with the FP and even more extra cleanup.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Peeling onions shouldn't be a nuisance. Here's what I do:
1) smack the onion with the flat of a chef's knife, all over. Some of the peel will fly off.
2) Cut off the top tip of the onion
3) slice onion in half from top to bottom
4) peel
5) smack it some more, if needed.

I also usually "shave" off the roots, so it is flush with the surface of the onion. Helps keep any dirt on the roots off the rest of the onion. Don't cut off too much at the root end or the onion won't hold together while you are cutting it.
That's pretty much how I process an onion.
I hate doing #4.
If there is a trick to peeling the outer layer off, not take too much onion with it and not have that membrane left to deal with I'd love to hear it. Oh, and not getting bits of onion under my thumbnail, too

Old 11-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's pretty much how I process an onion.
I hate doing #4.
If there is a trick to peeling the outer layer off, not take too much onion with it and not have that membrane left to deal with I'd love to hear it. Oh, and not getting bits of onion under my thumbnail, too
I don't worry about taking too much onion. Everything except the root, yucky bits, and the outermost layer of peel, gets used for cooking goes or goes into my vegi "stock" jar in the freezer.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

If I were you, I would go for Boerner brand mandolins. My mother has one for about 15 years now and it is still as good as new. Great stuff.
Something like this: Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus Mandoline 6 Piece Set: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining
Old 11-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
Master Chef

I also wanted to mention that we use mine very often for paper thin hot house cucumber and onion salad. Perfect paper thin slices are next to impossible with a knife even for a professional chef. That's why they use them too.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
What would you want to be different? Does it make nice, uniform, whole slices?

I have a salad shooter-like attachment for my meat grinder. I use it if I have to grate a lot of cheese. Stirling uses it a lot.

But for slicing, I find a bunch of weirdly shaped slices, partial slices, and slices stuck between the cone and the casing. I also have to cut the food into pieces that will fit through the feed shoot. By the time I have cut the food to fit, pushed it all through, cleaned up the stuff that fell off/didn't hit the plate, and washed the parts, I often wished I had done it by hand.
I don't like the removable pieces of the Slice Wizard. Sometimes the food sticks and the removable part moves. The cover is difficult to use and leaves a lot of the item unsliced. Storage is also a problem since there are so many pieces.

The King Kutter has an open shoot. You do get some weirdly shaped slices at times but when I'm making scalloped potatoes it works well enough. If I wanted something really eye appealing I wouldn't use it. But for most of my needs, it does things okay. I've never been a fussy person about presentation at home and any more rarely cook for people other than family.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I also wanted to mention that we use mine very often for paper thin hot house cucumber and onion salad. Perfect paper thin slices are next to impossible with a knife even for a professional chef. That's why they use them too.
Yeah, that's what I want to be able to do.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardeffect View Post
If I were you, I would go for Boerner brand mandolins. My mother has one for about 15 years now and it is still as good as new. Great stuff.
Something like this: Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus Mandoline 6 Piece Set: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining
Thank you for the recommendation.

Next question, to everyone, is that V shape a good idea?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Do I want a mandolin and if so, what am I looking for? If I decide to get one, I want a good quality one, not something like this useless thing a friend gave me:

I almost never use my food processor. It's usually easier to chop or slice it by hand, and then it's much less clean up. E.g., I recently made a batch of rødkål (Danish red cabbage) and I couldn't be bothered to pull out a machine to shred the whole cabbage. It went quickly with a chef's knife.

But the thread about "instant onion soup" and all of those sliced onions has me thinking mandolin. I can slice quickly, but my thin slices aren't very uniform.
I have a good-quality plastic mandolin that I really like. It was about $50 at a local kitchen shop. The food never catches or sticks and it has a little hook, sort of, at the bottom so you can use it over a bowl. :pause: I just checked and the one I have is the same one LP recommended. Good to know it's so durable

The blades slice one way, making :duh: slices, of three different thicknesses, and another blade slices two ways at once, to make julienne and fine julienne, so it's good for sushi, spring rolls or other dishes where you want julienned veg. You could also use it to slice tomatoes for pizza Margherita.

I used it a lot this past summer for pickling - I wrote on my recipes which blade and thickness to use for slicing cucumbers. I will definitely be using it for the onions.

I think (could be wrong) the only difference between a V-slicer and a mandolin is that a mandolin is adjustable with a wheel or screw to exactly the thickness you want. The V-slicer comes with removable blades. So I don't know why they call it a V-slicer/mandolin
Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Mine's a v-shape. I don't think I've seen any that aren't v-shaped.

Lee Valley sells a really nice one:

Classic French Mandoline - Lee Valley Tools

Mine is not that fancy...I couldn't quite justify that amount for slicing cucumbers (for Swedish cucumber salad), onions, and potatoes (Jansson's Temptation). Otherwise, I don't use it very often. I use my FP for big batches of coleslaw.