"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Gave away my classic Bron mandoline, with a perpendicular blade, and use my cheap-o plastic Boerner V slicer.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the recommendation, Lard. That one is pretty reasonably priced, too.

And I also did not realize they came in a V blade pattern. I thought the ones I had seen the blade was on an angle.

And don't forget homemade potato chips
I do get paper thin slices and reasonably uniform, but not as quickly as I'm sure I could with a mandolin. It's probably safer with a mandolin with that thin of slices, too.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Mine's a v-shape. I don't think I've seen any that aren't v-shaped.

Lee Valley sells a really nice one:

Classic French Mandoline - Lee Valley Tools

Mine is not that fancy...I couldn't quite justify that amount for slicing cucumbers (for Swedish cucumber salad), onions, and potatoes (Jansson's Temptation). Otherwise, I don't use it very often. I use my FP for big batches of coleslaw.
That is a nice one. I don't want to be cheap when/if I buy a mandolin, but that's more than I think it's worth to me.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Gave away my classic Bron mandoline, with a perpendicular blade, and use my cheap-o plastic Boerner V slicer.
That makes two votes for the Boerner.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
... :pause: I just checked and the one I have is the same one LP recommended. Good to know it's so durable
Oops, sorry, I meant Lardeffect - reading too fast
Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

For things like caramelized onions, the slices don't have to be perfect, just thin. For that you could use a food processor.

I don't have a mandolin, I have a V-Slicer. Looks like this.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
For things like caramelized onions, the slices don't have to be perfect, just thin. For that you could use a food processor.

I don't have a mandolin, I have a V-Slicer. Looks like this.
Both of my food processors and the vegi attachment for my meat grinder produce occasional big pieces that get stuck in places they don't belong. Then I have to take the thing apart and fish them out. It drives me crazy.

It's looking more and more like what I want is a V-slicer. Does the food have to fit inside that bump on the food pusher or is it just a handle?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

I received an Oxo mandolin as a gift and it is still sitting on the top shelf unopened. I also have a large injector I received as a gift. And a potato ricer. And a bunch of other gifts that I wish others would stop giving me. Oh I forgot, an apple peeler. Although I did use that a lot. Made more of a mess than it was worth. Made the slices too thin for an apple pie. As a joke I received a toy rolling pin. That is more useful than all the others put together. Great for rolling out dough into corners. I find that I never think to reach for any of these products when needed. My trusty knife does the job just as well.
\
I just got rid of my ice cream maker. It too went unused. Someday when I can bend down, or Spike is in the mood to do it for me, I am going to clean out under my cabinet where all the electrical stuff is stored. Like the 1.5 quart crock pot. On the stove top or in the oven does the job for me. An old toaster that I never use. It was my daughter's. She can have it back. But I doubt she wants it. I use the broiler. I may eat four slices of toast in a year.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's looking more and more like what I want is a V-slicer. Does the food have to fit inside that bump on the food pusher or is it just a handle?
I'll let you know. I took one for the team and ordered that one Lard posted
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
I received an Oxo mandolin as a gift and it is still sitting on the top shelf unopened. I also have a large injector I received as a gift. And a potato ricer. And a bunch of other gifts that I wish others would stop giving me. Oh I forgot, an apple peeler. Although I did use that a lot. Made more of a mess than it was worth. Made the slices too thin for an apple pie. As a joke I received a toy rolling pin. That is more useful than all the others put together. Great for rolling out dough into corners. I find that I never think to reach for any of these products when needed. My trusty knife does the job just as well.
\
I just got rid of my ice cream maker. It too went unused. Someday when I can bend down, or Spike is in the mood to do it for me, I am going to clean out under my cabinet where all the electrical stuff is stored. Like the 1.5 quart crock pot. On the stove top or in the oven does the job for me. An old toaster that I never use. It was my daughter's. She can have it back. But I doubt she wants it. I use the broiler. I may eat four slices of toast in a year.
Just send those gadgets to me. I will use them. ;)