Mandolin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With the one I have recommended the finger guard is useful. You should use it always, but if you are extra careful it is not essential. But when processing large amounts it is quite comfortable.
They also sell special bowls, at least in Europe, in which the slicer docks comfortably.
http://www.amazon.com/Borner-Oval-S...7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1352844038&sr=1-7

The newer version (I think it was in recommended items on amazon) also dices, but I have never used it.
http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Born...2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1352844038&sr=1-2

The V shape makes cutting easier. A slanted blade is an old French invention from the French revolution - but they used it to cut heads off. Be wary, as this mandolin is extremely sharp (those are basically surgical-grade knifes) and it can take your fingertip off.

Last edited:
With the one I have recommended the finger guard is useful. You should use it always, but if you are extra careful it is not essential. But when processing large amounts it is quite comfortable.
They also sell special bowls, at least in Europe, in which the slicer docks comfortably.
Borner Oval Slicing Bowl - Swissmar: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

The newer version (I think it was in recommended items on amazon) also dices, but I have never used it.
Swissmar Borner V Power Mandoline, V-7000, White: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

The V shape makes cutting easier. A slanted blade is an old French invention from the French revolution - but they used it to cut heads off. Be wary, as this mandolin is extremely sharp (those are basically surgical-grade knifes) and it can take your fingertip off.

And not just when you're using it to slice.........
Whatever kind you get, I'd strongly recommend you store it and the blades in something like a see through shoe box. Mine new one came with it's own plastic container but most do not. I stored my old one on a cupboard shelf, and you can guess why that wasn't a safe thing to do. Just saying........

I think (could be wrong) the only difference between a V-slicer and a mandolin is that a mandolin is adjustable with a wheel or screw to exactly the thickness you want. The V-slicer comes with removable blades. So I don't know why they call it a V-slicer/mandolin :huh:

the mandolin i've got has blades of several sorts that may be easily changed, & is adjustable. the v-slicers varied & there was usually not a guard, nor a stand for stability, although a few could have the blades changed on them.

Last edited:
Lardeffect said:
V-slicer is a mandolin with a V-shaped blade. Every V-slicer is a mandolin, but not every mandolin is a V-slicer ;)

Ehhh this brought up bad memories of logic "games" on the LSAT

I just got my mandolin in AND... the local grocer is having a BOGO on yellow onions starting tomorrow :)

I just got my mandolin in AND... the local grocer is having a BOGO on yellow onions starting tomorrow :)

So stock up and remember you can freeze those onions after you slice them up on your new mandolin. Just like you would find in the frozen food section of your grocery store. :angel:

You can also Carmelize the onions and freeze in portions. I do it a lot it cuts down on food prep time as onions take forever to Carmelize.

May I also suggest making Mujaddara (sp?) if you have an abundance of onions.

You can also Carmelize the onions and freeze in portions. I do it a lot it cuts down on food prep time as onions take forever to Carmelize...

Yes, we were discussing this on a resurrected thread recently. That's what prompted me to get one :)

What you want is a mandoline. A mandolin is a stringed musical instrument, similar to a guitar.
Both of you are right. A quick little bit of linguistic research: mandolin/mandoline can be used for the stringed musical instrument as well as the kitchen tool. I could not find a preference for the kitchen tool, just the musical instrument--the preferred term in NA is mandolin, but mandoline is accepted as a variation for the spelling. The word stems from the Fr. mandoline which is a loan word from It. mandolino. I did notice a number of stores advertise the kitchen tool as a mandolin (except for those manufactured / sold in France). I always thought the kitchen tool was a mandoline, but didn't take the time to look it up when this thread surfaced.

Both of you are right. A quick little bit of linguistic research: mandolin/mandoline can be used for the stringed musical instrument as well as the kitchen tool. I could not find a preference for the kitchen tool, just the musical instrument--the preferred term in NA is mandolin, but mandoline is accepted as a variation for the spelling. The word stems from the Fr. mandoline which is a loan word from It. mandolino. I did notice a number of stores advertise the kitchen tool as a mandolin (except for those manufactured / sold in France). I always thought the kitchen tool was a mandoline, but didn't take the time to look it up when this thread surfaced.

Two names, Jimmy Ibbotson and Rickey Scaggs.;)

When I worked at Wyeth Pharmaceutical I had two supervisors that came from France. When I was filing a patient's papers there was an Adverse Event. I couldn't make out the words as some of them were in French. The patient lived in Paris. So I asked one of my supervisors to translate for me. Translation was "She cut herself on zee Mandoleen. Her pronouciation. And it was spelled with the "E". Everytime I have to say that word now I pronouce it just like she did. Zee Mandoleen! Voila! :angel:

CraigC said:

:LOL:

Slicing onions on a musical instrument probably won't produce desired results....

I guess if you had a price range listed I missed it, but the Bron is pretty much the gold standard in restaurant kitchens. I've used them for many years.

Back
Top Bottom