"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Well... is was as messy as I seem to remember with the Roncomatic slicer dicers. I had pieces shooting forward off the mandolin, even going slowly, and pieces dropping at my feet. Pieces of onion on top of the mandolin and pieces underneath. In proportion to the 3 lbs of small onions I cut though, I suppose I could live with that. It was easy, no-brainer going once the onions were prepped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	16358   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	16359  

Old 11-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thanks for the review pac. Is the thickness of the slices adjustable?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #74
Certified Pretend Chef

When I'm doing something in volume like lots of onions, I always select the biggest ones I can find. The same goes for mushrooms. I'd rather prep fewer big items than more small ones.

Once prepped, the V-Slicer does a great job.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks for the review pac. Is the thickness of the slices adjustable?
Yes, but you have to either flip the blade attachment over or insert a new one. There are three blade attachments. I would have rather seen a knob on the side lifting or lowering the cutting surface. More engineering comes a higher price I imagine. It does have a nifty little storeage rack though, that keeps everything in one place and safe.

Bigger onions would have been nice, Andy. It handled the small ones quite well though.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Yes, but you have to either flip the blade attachment over or insert a new one. There are three blade attachments. I would have rather seen a knob on the side lifting or lowering the cutting surface. More engineering comes a higher price I imagine. It does have a nifty little storeage rack though, that keeps everything in one place and safe.

Bigger onions would have been nice, Andy. It handled the small ones quite well though.
Also these onions were on sale. So not much choice there.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:21 AM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well... is was as messy as I seem to remember with the Roncomatic slicer dicers. I had pieces shooting forward off the mandolin, even going slowly, and pieces dropping at my feet. Pieces of onion on top of the mandolin and pieces underneath. In proportion to the 3 lbs of small onions I cut though, I suppose I could live with that. It was easy, no-brainer going once the onions were prepped.
I have always thought they would be messy, we do a lot of slicing by hand or if it is a lot, the food processor
Old 11-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

That too, Addie. I'm not one to pass up a sale, especially for something I'm making.

My FP doesn't slice well. It's only a 7qt and I think that's the problem. I tend to overload it and it chops some items and doesn't touch others. A few more pulses and my food turns to pulp and chunks And then there's the mess of cleaning it... even before I put it in the dishwasher. The mandolin shines in that department.

Everything is browned and coming along nicely. And the house and surrounding area smells like onion I guess now I simply wait another half a day and let it reduce.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #79
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
I use mandolins both at work and at home. A japanese for fine work and the traditional mainly for slicing (making dauphinoise) , julienne, and batonet cuts. At work its a life saver because of the volume for example just to julienne carrots my cooks peel and cut 40 lb per day. Just remember they are extremely sharp and you should by a quality one such as a Bron. You can sometimes buy them at a reduced price on a web site called "Happy Chef".
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
Could be operator error I didn't have those problems with mine. I did stop at the last half-inch or so and put the nubbins in a bag with the peels for stock.