Mandolin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could be operator error ;) I didn't have those problems with mine. I did stop at the last half-inch or so and put the nubbins in a bag with the peels for stock.

I won't rule that out. Any tips?
I took mine right down to nothing. I thought I would have the nub left and have to peel it from the prongs, but it worked quite well taking them right down to nothing.

I won't rule that out. Any tips?

I know if my DH was doing this, he would push it too hard and fast, which might cause some rippage and food flying around ;) The blades are extremely sharp, so it doesn't take much pressure to do the cutting. He doesn't spend a lot of time cooking, though, so maybe you have more patience. :)

I took mine right down to nothing. I thought I would have the nub left and have to peel it from the prongs, but it worked quite well taking them right down to nothing.

I have to confess, I had misplaced the hand guard, so I very slowly and carefully pushed the onions by hand and left some uncut. Luckily, DH found it today, in the wrong drawer :wacko:

Hope this helps.

I'll bet I was pushing down too hard, especially with the section in front of the blade being flexible.

I use mandolins both at work and at home. A japanese for fine work and the traditional mainly for slicing (making dauphinoise) , julienne, and batonet cuts. At work its a life saver because of the volume for example just to julienne carrots my cooks peel and cut 40 lb per day. Just remember they are extremely sharp and you should by a quality one such as a Bron. You can sometimes buy them at a reduced price on a web site called "Happy Chef".
Usually I agree with getting quality. I am hoping to get a decent quality mandolin(e). But, I don't see how a mandolin is worth $175 + sales tax +shipping to me. That's what a Bron costs at Amazon.ca. It's the best price I have been able to find in Canada.

I mostly want it for large quantities of onions and maybe cabbage. I don't do either of those very often, maybe twice in three months. If I like using it, I'm sure I will find other quantity uses for it. If it is easy enough to set up and clean, I will use it for finely sliced carrots, celery, and red onion for salads. But, for salads I do a decent job with a chef's knife. I usually only cook for two.

I will be getting a protective glove along with whichever mandolin I get.

My glove has been a real fingersaver. I can tend to be a bit, um, accident-prone when dealing with sharp objects.

I like both my Oxxo and my cheapo mandolines. The cheapo fits nicely in a drawer.

Last edited:
I just figured out why my mandoline is sitting on the top shelf not even opened. Because I am so short, just to stand at the counter and chop by hand can be uncomfortable for me. The counter is about two inches too high. Then add the height of any instrument I am using and it is very difficult and awkward. It is much easier and quicker if I use my FP. And since I cook for only one, I really don't need to make extra work for myself.

I have a small cart that is just the right height. But I have other things on it. Like the toaster oven and my little pie maker. Just not worth the effort to slice one or two potatoes when I can do it by hand much quicker and less to wash up after. :angel:

My glove has been a real fingersaver. I can tend to be a bit, um, accident-prone when dealing with sharp objects.

I like both my Oxxo and my cheapo mandolines. The cheapo fits nicely in a drawer.
Where did you get the kevlar glove? Can you post a pic? I want one.

CWS4322 said:
Where did you get the kevlar glove? Can you post a pic? I want one.

I got it from Amazon, about $14 as I recall.

It's a Microplane brand. I just rinse and dry it after use.

image-291471977.jpg

Last edited:
Dawgluver said:
I got it from Amazon, about $14 as I recall.

It's a Microplane brand. I just rinse and dry it after use.

Do you dance around the room while chopping your food??? ;)

chopper said:
Do you dance around the room while chopping your food??? ;)

Of course! Too uncoordinated for moonwalking, though.

Better for me than dripping blood...

Last edited:
taxlady said:
How was the size? Does it fit both left & right hand?

Yes, it's stretchy and ambidextrous. It's nice having that extra layer of protection. My hands are medium size, with long fingers, and it fits fine.

Yes, it's stretchy and ambidextrous. It's nice having that extra layer of protection. My hands are medium size, with long fingers, and it fits fine.
I will definitely be getting at least one of these. If they have extra large, I will get one for Stirling.

I want it on my right hand when I'm using the mandolin (if I get one) and on my left hand when cutting with a knife. I have had serious cuts to the same finger twice this year.

Are they one size fits all or do they come in large, medium, small, etc.? What size glove did you get? What is your glove size?

taxlady said:
I will definitely be getting at least one of these. If they have extra large, I will get one for Stirling.

I want it on my right hand when I'm using the mandolin (if I get one) and on my left hand when cutting with a knife. I have had serious cuts to the same finger twice this year.

Are they one size fits all or do they come in large, medium, small, etc.? What size glove did you get? What is your glove size?

They offer other gloves too, some in pairs. Mine is one size fits all. I usually wear a medium.

Last edited:
I bought the DxW a mandolin for christmas one year, knowing that she would be slicing 10 lbs potatoes for new year's party. Even bought one of the medieval armour gloves to go with it.

Then, I thought about it a little more. I decided better not. She falls over on the floor at the slightest amount of blood and it wouldn't be a good idea if she was home alone using a mandolin.

It's still in the original box in the back of a drawer. I should use it sometime.

I thought the most dangerous part of using my mandolin was getting it out of the plastic holder everything snaps into. That was kind of tricky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom