Mandolin Slicers - Loved or Feared?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have both the freemaster and a madoline. I prefer the freemaster for potatoes and the madoline for cabbage. If I have a lot to do I will use the slicer/grater on the Kitchen Aid Mixer.

When I have a lot to slice, I use the food processor...funny thing. I have two of 'em (it rained Cuisinarts here a while back). So I usually use the 14 cup, but if I have a lot to slice, think sauerkraut-25# cabbage, I use the 11 cup, because it has one of those chute attachments to replace the workbowl.

When I have a lot to slice, I use the food processor...funny thing. I have two of 'em (it rained Cuisinarts here a while back). So I usually use the 14 cup, but if I have a lot to slice, think sauerkraut-25# cabbage, I use the 11 cup, because it has one of those chute attachments to replace the workbowl.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:When I moved in with my 84/94 year old parents for caregiving I discovered 2 mini choppers, 3 food processors, and 3 magic choppers. None of them ever used because Mom always used the Kitchen Aid attachments.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We also have a giant mandolin type slaw slicer for kraut. Boy is wicked! It is about 8 inches wide and 3 feet long. :ohmy:

I have a cheap plastic V-slicer, but I don't like it because it feels flimsy, so it makes me uncomfortable to use it. I'm thinking about buying the OXO V-slicer - does it feel sturdy and not "give" when you use it? Even with something very firm, like raw potatoes and carrots?

TIA.

I may have changed my mind about the Bron mandolin...I looked at it in the sunlight, and the blades (all) were dull. So...I priced replacements...$128 or so, plus shipping. I only paid $5 for the mandolin, and another $5 for the safety holder (found a second holder for $1). So I took it apart, and broke out the superfine diamond card. It was like sharpening a chainsaw on the julienne blades. The main blade was easy, and the ripple cutter wasn't too bad. I haven't tried a ripe tomato through it yet, but I feel a salad coming on...

I've got a real old one, similar to Quicksilver's, but with adjustable thickness. I don't fear it, but I have great respect for the blade that has never needed sharpening! The watch word is: FOCUS. But the same has to be said for anything sharp or capable of harm. I learned the hard way years ago in my woodshop. Yes. I still have them all, plus a few scars to remind me..................

love em. that said, once you slice your finger, you'll learn to use the food guide, and respect a very sharp blade. I have both a Boerner slicer and a microplane slicer ..both have V blades

:) I use one, you only have to cut yourself real good just once as I did to develop a healthy respect for these gadgets. What are these gloves people are talking about are they the same ones as the fish cleaning gloves?
When I cut myself I had just woke up from a nap and wasn't quite awake so yes you must pay attention.

:) I use one, you only have to cut yourself real good just once as I did to develop a healthy respect for these gadgets. What are these gloves people are talking about are they the same ones as the fish cleaning gloves?
When I cut myself I had just woke up from a nap and wasn't quite awake so yes you must pay attention.

This is what I use , but for using the mandoline.

Yes mandolins are hazardous. The trouble is that most people just try to get the last little shred and that's when it all goes wrong. The first time I used a mandolin was in the classic essentials cooking class I took a few years ago, and they taught safety before they let any of the students touch it. And then they got out the first aid kit in preparation for the inevitable. I think we were one of the less common groups, as none of us was wounded during that meal prep. :angel:

But then the much more common box grater/shredder is also very hazardous. I've seen some serious damage done to the fingers/knuckles with one of those too. I'm just as careful and respectful using my Microplane box shredder as I am using my mandolin. :chef:

Funny this subject came up. I just bought an OXO mandoline slicer new in the box with the blade still covered at the thrift store yesterday for $3.99. I had a Borner and I know they are all the rave but I never liked the one I had. It felt cheap. I have always wanted a good mandoline but never wanted to spend the money on one because I use my Cusineart for those jobs. The only thing I can't get done is really thin potatoes for making potato chips. I am hoping this one will get the job done.

Funny this subject came up. I just bought an OXO mandoline slicer new in the box with the blade still covered at the thrift store yesterday for $3.99. I had a Borner and I know they are all the rave but I never liked the one I had. It felt cheap. I have always wanted a good mandoline but never wanted to spend the money on one because I use my Cusineart for those jobs. The only thing I can't get done is really thin potatoes for making potato chips. I am hoping this one will get the job done.

I use my Food Processor with the 1 mm slicing disc for thin potatoes when I am doing large quanity.

I use my knife for potato chips. I only cut one potato though. I am finding out that the food processor bowl and food chute arrangement is not the easiest thing to clean. Lots of places where food can get hung up.
I like what I'm reading and seeing about mandolins though. They seem like a very simple and handy tool.

I have used one before, but I didn't like the feel of it and most people (myself included) that I have seen use it seem to try and go quicker than they should be going. I backwards as I may be like the theruputical feel of dicing, slicing and cutting by hand with my favorite knife. I think things look better cut by hand, the finished product doesn't seem as ragged. I also saw a guy I work with take an big chunk out of his hand twice using one. I don't really fear it, but I don't love it either. IYKWIM

I use my Food Processor with the 1 mm slicing disc for thin potatoes when I am doing large quanity.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love my Cusineart FP but the model I have has a really small shoot and I would have very tiny potato chips if I used it for that, hence the mandoline slicer.

New to this so be patient with me.

My daughter stationed in Japan, requested a Mandoline as her Christmas gift. Not knowing what I was getting into started researching this kitchen gadget, and WOW they are all over the place. Read though your statements regarding these types of products and though somewhat helpful still confusing.

Prices range from $14.00 to several hundred, ok. Maybe this will be her only gift or a stocking stuffer. Because she is stationed in Japan, I am sure some of her electric equiptment won't work for some of the tasks. She is the military person who invites everyone to her house to eat. So that rules out the $14. item, and she will use this item for years to come. Brands I have looked at are Bron, Beriner, OXO, Cruisinart, etc. really interesting one from De Buyer (found a great video there too).

She will be well warned from her MOM (me) that the safety rules must be followed to the letter.

Not even sure what my question is, but on-going comments will be welcome. Has anyone used the De Buyer Mandoline?

And because of shipping issues I need to puchase this quickly.

The Bron is probably the cheapest one that I know is good. There may be others that are cheaper but I've never personally used one (good & cheap, that is).

Tonight, I am the proud owner of a Cuisinart mandoline, thanks to my dear wife. I had opportunity to use it for the first time, slicing potatoes for Au Gratin. The safety feature, the food holder, is excellent. The mandoline came with multiple warnings about sharp blades, and gave instructions on how they should be handled. With a modicum of common sense, I see no danger from this machine; in fact, I'm rather keen on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom