"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #31
Cook

Funny this subject came up. I just bought an OXO mandoline slicer new in the box with the blade still covered at the thrift store yesterday for $3.99. I had a Borner and I know they are all the rave but I never liked the one I had. It felt cheap. I have always wanted a good mandoline but never wanted to spend the money on one because I use my Cusineart for those jobs. The only thing I can't get done is really thin potatoes for making potato chips. I am hoping this one will get the job done.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaWright View Post
Funny this subject came up. I just bought an OXO mandoline slicer new in the box with the blade still covered at the thrift store yesterday for $3.99. I had a Borner and I know they are all the rave but I never liked the one I had. It felt cheap. I have always wanted a good mandoline but never wanted to spend the money on one because I use my Cusineart for those jobs. The only thing I can't get done is really thin potatoes for making potato chips. I am hoping this one will get the job done.
I use my Food Processor with the 1 mm slicing disc for thin potatoes when I am doing large quanity.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

I use my knife for potato chips. I only cut one potato though. I am finding out that the food processor bowl and food chute arrangement is not the easiest thing to clean. Lots of places where food can get hung up.
I like what I'm reading and seeing about mandolins though. They seem like a very simple and handy tool.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #34
Sous Chef

I have used one before, but I didn't like the feel of it and most people (myself included) that I have seen use it seem to try and go quicker than they should be going. I backwards as I may be like the theruputical feel of dicing, slicing and cutting by hand with my favorite knife. I think things look better cut by hand, the finished product doesn't seem as ragged. I also saw a guy I work with take an big chunk out of his hand twice using one. I don't really fear it, but I don't love it either. IYKWIM
Old 11-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #35
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I use my Food Processor with the 1 mm slicing disc for thin potatoes when I am doing large quanity.
Oh don't get me wrong, I love my Cusineart FP but the model I have has a really small shoot and I would have very tiny potato chips if I used it for that, hence the mandoline slicer.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaWright View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, I love my Cusineart FP but the model I have has a really small shoot and I would have very tiny potato chips if I used it for that, hence the mandoline slicer.
No problem!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

Question

New to this so be patient with me.

My daughter stationed in Japan, requested a Mandoline as her Christmas gift. Not knowing what I was getting into started researching this kitchen gadget, and WOW they are all over the place. Read though your statements regarding these types of products and though somewhat helpful still confusing.

Prices range from $14.00 to several hundred, ok. Maybe this will be her only gift or a stocking stuffer. Because she is stationed in Japan, I am sure some of her electric equiptment won't work for some of the tasks. She is the military person who invites everyone to her house to eat. So that rules out the $14. item, and she will use this item for years to come. Brands I have looked at are Bron, Beriner, OXO, Cruisinart, etc. really interesting one from De Buyer (found a great video there too).

She will be well warned from her MOM (me) that the safety rules must be followed to the letter.

Not even sure what my question is, but on-going comments will be welcome. Has anyone used the De Buyer Mandoline?

And because of shipping issues I need to puchase this quickly.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:15 AM   #38
Head Chef

The Bron is probably the cheapest one that I know is good. There may be others that are cheaper but I've never personally used one (good & cheap, that is).
Old 12-26-2008, 01:21 AM   #39
Sous Chef

Tonight, I am the proud owner of a Cuisinart mandoline, thanks to my dear wife. I had opportunity to use it for the first time, slicing potatoes for Au Gratin. The safety feature, the food holder, is excellent. The mandoline came with multiple warnings about sharp blades, and gave instructions on how they should be handled. With a modicum of common sense, I see no danger from this machine; in fact, I'm rather keen on it.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #40
Head Chef

I used a mandolin once.

I bled all over the kitchen.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote