"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #61
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
juggling knives. Blindfolded. And drunk.
Don't knock it till you try it

Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #62
Senior Cook

I have looked into getting a mandolin or slicer before but never did get one. I have limited space and figured between my food processor and a good knife I could make due. So far I have not missed not having one. But then I don't know what it would be like to have one. So I guess you can't miss what you don't know.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #63
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Why do you think they are useless? The handle I have works extremely well. Obviously you can not use it for things like carrots, but for other items I use it every time with no problems at all.
Things soft enough that they wont be knocked out of the handle if you have less than an inch of prongs aren't worth using a mandolin on to me. Firmer things (carrots) are easier to cut without it, and you waste less since the handle needs more than an inch of prong depth to hold onto them.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #64
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithan View Post
Things soft enough that they wont be knocked out of the handle if you have less than an inch of prongs aren't worth using a mandolin on to me. Firmer things (carrots) are easier to cut without it, and you waste less since the handle needs more than an inch of prong depth to hold onto them.
I use mine with things like potatoes and fennel and things like that. Works perfectly if used correctly.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #65
Cook

I was mostly afraid of them until my wife bought me a Borner by Swissmar. It is as sharp as they get, but it has a guard that slides with the food and it protects your fingers. Now I can slice without fretting.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:23 PM   #66
Senior Cook

Matfer - be very afraid. I've about decided against using the machine. Only a couple of cuts - no stitches yet
Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #67
Senior Cook

Always pay close attention to what you're doing. If you use this tool with extreme care, you will really love it. If not, you'll be visiting the ER in your local hospital.
I use mine often and when doing so, I don't even listen to the radio so I'm not distracted.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #68
Head Chef

I'd received some ghastly wounds working with a mandolin, but that was in a commercial kitchen where I was working [too] quickly and doing large amounts. I really love a good mandolin but that love is tempered with a bit of fear.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #69
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I don't have a mandolin, but do have and use this. It was very inexpensive and have used it 20+ years and is still as sharp as can be. They are still available and inexpensive, and the best for slicing potatoes.

Feemster's Famous Vegetable Slicer

In 1971, my then soon-to-be mother-in-law gave me a rusty old thing like that from the drawer in her kitchen. I had no idea it even had a name. I scrubbed it up, and I still use it (has it really been 37 years?) Wow! this is the first time I've ever seen another. Thanks for that.

I used to have the Zyliss that someone else pictured, but the blades got put in the dishwasher and warped.

A couple years ago I got a 'real' mandoline for Xmas. I absolutely love it for some things - like juliennes. But I still use my old Feemster Famous Vegetable Slicer for most things.

Even though I have 3 different size food processors, I don't use them much anymore. I can use a knife much quicker than I can use the Cuisinart.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #70
Executive Chef

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip on the OXO. I bought one today. Haven't had a chance to use it but I loved my daughter's comment afterwards. She said "do you REALLY need another gadget. I saw that on tv and it doesn't do much." Yeah, right. This thread helped me decide. Thanks so much.