Mandolin Slicers - Loved or Feared?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use my mandolin several times a week. Since I use a dehydrator, getting uniform slices really helps with uniform drying times for various fruits. After trying a few different mandolins over the years I've found I prefer a slicer that can be kept in the utility drawer and doesn't require any set-up. I like the Progressive Intl Adjust-a-Slice Mandolin & Julienne Slicer. Since it fits so nicely in the drawer I'm more likely to actually use it.

I think the key to success with a mandolin is getting the thought "I bet I can get one last slice", out of your mind. Use a guard or a cut-proof glove.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a MIU 90799.
img_1181381_0_3137cd97f1cf36b943e0180a8f29f85f.jpg

I received this for Christmas two years ago and have just started using it in the past few months. It is great for large quantity cutting but to much to clean for just a few vegetables. It took me a while to learn how to use it and a little longer to have the confidence to use it efficiently. You need to be very confident when using this but extremely respectful of its potential to really hurt you. I have learned not to be shy when I use it-take determined strong conclusive downward motions. I kind of relate it to filleting a fish. You don't chop away at it you take determined paths of the knife for a clean cut.

If you hesitate with the mandolin, as in making a French fry cut, you will be picking the stuck pieces away from the blade. I will be using it tomorrow to do five pounds of potatoes' for frozen French fries.

You really need to watch some demonstrations on youtube first before attempting to use the mandolin. I am certainly no expert but I do use the mandolin now about twice a week. Have fun -be careful

Back
Top Bottom