Mandolin Slicers - Loved or Feared?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love my Mandoline, but I don't use it as often as I would like. I do have a fear that one day I might slip my finger through it, but I've never heard of horror accidents with the Mandoline.

Mandolins

Great tool for cutting vegetables very thin consistently. Also has ability to julienne quickly and thinner than most can cut by hand. Can also cut a thin waffle shape which is great for making crispy potato chips. The thing to be careful of is cutting yourself by going too fast. Take your time, use the guard attachment that comes with most mandolins and enjoy the fruits of your labor and the creativity of your inner chef.

For Pete's sake, use the guard! Nobody likes sliced body parts in their salad. At least I don't.

Trust me, she knows what she's talking about!

Last edited:
I wish I had one but the cooking shows make them look scary. One of the only accessories that always gets a warning about being carefull.

slett said:
I wish I had one but the cooking shows make them look scary. One of the only accessories that always gets a warning about being carefull.

If you use the guard, there's really no way to hurt yourself. They're nice little machines!

Used correctly they are less dangerous than a chefs knife. The mandolin has a guard. A knife does not.

The Feemster Famous Vegetable Slicer has been mentioned a couple of times over the life of this thread. The old Feemster may be finest slicer ever. Infinitely variable slice thickness and instantly adjustable without hunting for loose components. They are often praised, but, if you contemplate trying one, you need to know that there is considerable difference between the original carbon steel blades and the current stainless blades. The original carbon steel is frequently found to hold its fine edge for generations. I bought mine used, but still with the original box. That's probably a reasonable way to guess that one was cared for or lightly used. The current stainless blades are not in the same class, and in this kind of work, the edge is everything. Vintage Feemsters appear from time to time on eBay and in garage sales.

The images here are the vintage production model. The box is distinctive. The current model uses a different box graphic, but it's also "vintage" looking, but don't be fooled. And the current model comes with a plastic guide, which is another giveaway.

Attachments

• slicer.jpg
    slicer.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 157
  • slicerDicer.jpg
    slicerDicer.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 149
I love mine. When I moved I somehow lost the guard so I got a Kevlar glove to use with it. Works great.

JoshuaNY said:
I love mine. When I moved I somehow lost the guard so I got a Kevlar glove to use with it. Works great.

I got a kevlar glove too!

Back
Top Bottom