"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 03:15 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Mandolin Slicers - Loved or Feared?

Who here owns a mandolin slicer? Do you have any horror stories or concerns worth mentioning?

Who owns one but prefers not to use it?

Who loves them!?

You can find some pretty gruesome pictures on the net of accidents people have had with mandolins.

I have tried a few, and yeah, they are a great way to cut down preparation time, but I dont think I would like to have one in my kitchen permanently - my wife can be a bit of a worry with the sharp stuff, and I just dont want to introduce the added risk that comes with owning one.

Has anyone almost bought one, but then didnt? If so, why not?

Do you have any tricks that you use to make using your mandolin a little safer?

Tool Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:54 AM   #2
Not really a true mandolin, but I own an OXO V blade slicer dicer and I love it, and use it all the time. It does deserve and gets a healthy bit of respect, like any sharp object. I feel that most accidents happen either from lack of respect and/or not using the safety precautions and guards that come with the equipment. I'm not concerned about my Lady using it because she doesn't, we have rules about MY KITCHEN. I don't play with her lawnmower and she stays out of my kitchen, it's that simple. We made that agreement before we married, and it works for us.

Grillncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:15 AM   #3
Head Chef
I also have the OXO and love it. I use it carefully and always with the guard. Makes perfect slices every time. My husband gets a little nervous when I drag it out, but I have had no problems with it.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
I have a mandolin.....I neither love it or fear it.....I like it and respect it.
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Good one, UB. I was going to say the same thing. I have taken chunks out of my thumb with a mandolin, but, I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. Respect it, and it will work.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
Sous Chef
A buddy of mine in his externship and a incident with one.

Ive gottne a few scraps and what not

you do need to be paying attention and respect the tool. they can be very dangerous.

I dont have one becuase I would try to go that extra little bit past the point i know i shouldnt go anymore.

Ill jsut do it myself. I would love one for potatos and stuff but for now ill stick to something safer like my knives.
Genius is sparked by other peoples ideas.
GhettoRacingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer
I have one and love it. Like UB, I do not fear it (although my wife fears it for me), but I have a healthy respect for it.

My tricks for using it safely are not really tricks. Always use the hand guard when possible. This is not possible when doing things like carrots, but for something like potatoes it is a must. Never wear loose cloths, but that is true of cooking in general. Pay attention to what you are doing. Do not have other distractions around you. There is a certain amount of speed needed when using one, but it is not a race so use just enough speed so the food slices, but do not try to go as fast as you can just for the sake of speed.

I find mine a very helpful tool in my kitchen, but I do not find I use it often. I would say I probably use it 2 times a year at most. When I do use it though I am very happy I have it.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
Executive Chef
I don't have a mandolin, but do have and use this. It was very inexpensive and have used it 20+ years and is still as sharp as can be. They are still available and inexpensive, and the best for slicing potatoes.

Feemster's Famous Vegetable Slicer

quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
Master Chef
I use one and always wear cut resistant gloves with it. I know me and don't want to take a chance to get cut.
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
Master Chef
Two kitchen tools DH will not allow me to have are a cleaver and a mandoline. He says I am just too accident prone. Of course, I would buy both if I thought he was wrong, but I he is right.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote