mandoline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
jake's getting me mine, 'cept we can't find where to order from without him tossing $150 (before shipping)to them. advice? thanks!

luvs, a while back i was in the market for one. here's the results of my query from here to start you off: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f88/need-recommendations-for-a-mandoline-17135.html?highlight=mandoline

are you looking for a professional stainless one, or a less expensive one to use occasionally at home?

i like my oxo mandoline, although, i have to admit it hasn't gotten much use. it's much quicker to whip out a knife to do the same job, almost. i tend to cook more rustic or family style, so my cuts don't have to be that precise or even.

luvs, I've had a Bron mandoline for quite a few years and really, really like it. It's easy to use and makes paper-thin to quite thick slices very easily. It also does matchstick cuts and thicker French fry-like cuts. It's easy to use and easy to clean. Folds flat for storage.

I would also recommend using the cutting guard or, if you elect not to do that, get a protective cutting glove. The blades are SHARP and you could get a nasty, albeit clean, cut. You don't want to go there.

Check on Amazon. I looked there a couple of minutes ago and they have 163 entries for mandolines. Plus, anything over $25 is Super Saver "no shipping" fee. You might find something there. Also, don't forget about their "Friday" sales and, as someone posted on another thread, they have a "Deals" section with various %-off on lots of items. Perhaps a mandoline can be found in that section, too. I didn't look there.

Happy mandoline hunting.

I have the Borner V-slicer mandoline and love it! Think I got it for around $35.00.

thanks. i'm gonna look into your advice.
bucky, i'm looking towards a more expensive slicer cause we've cooked gorgeous potato dishes with them at school, items a knife couldn't suffice towards.
& katie, while a cutting guard would be great, Chef school jaded me 'bout that.:LOL: we get cuts. often. that sorta deal nary affects me anymore so i'd hesitate to purchase that item.

Last edited:
luvs said:
& katie, while a cutting guard would be great, Chef school jaded me 'bout that.:LOL: we get cuts. often. that sorta deal nary affects me anymore so i'd hesitate to purchase that item.

Here's the mandoline I have:
Amazon.com: Bron Professional Mandolin Slicer: Kitchen & Housewares

And what I meant by the cutting guard was the carriage you see in the picture. I rarely use this on my mandoline. I prefer to hold the food in my fingers. That's why I recommended the glove. Although, it depends on what I'm slicing whether I use the glove or not.

I will be getting a more adjustable mandoline one of these days...right now the Borner V slicer does what I want pretty well. and yes, about $35. The Oxo looks a bit more versatile...and it's only $60 something.

Katie E said:
Here's the mandoline I have:
Amazon.com: Bron Professional Mandolin Slicer: Kitchen & Housewares

And what I meant by the cutting guard was the carriage you see in the picture. I rarely use this on my mandoline. I prefer to hold the food in my fingers. That's why I recommended the glove. Although, it depends on what I'm slicing whether I use the glove or not.

Luvs - I have this same identical one. While it was not cheap it will last a VERY long time. If you have harder vegetables to cut, like carrots, I like this type of frame over plastic. I use mine quite often when doing a dish that feeds more. Otherwise I still like to use my knife. Cucumbers sliced paper thin for cucumbers and sour cream are heavenly and can be done in a flash!. Dauphinois can be done in a flash. You can julienne and then slice veggies in cubes for vegetable soup. I could go on :rolleyes:

I have a nice one from W-S I don't use it much, really the only
thing I used it for was making potatoe chips. Maybe I will need
to give it another shot.

I hav an OXO. It's ok, but honestly I wish I would have spent the extra $50 or so for a nice one. I use it for repetetive thin cuts such as those used in gratin dauphinois or layered apple cobbler. I also use it for french fries. The OXO is terrible at making waffle cuts though compared to nicer units... which stinks... because I love waffle fries and mine are always half-@$$... :(

I have a Matfer and really like it. I think you can get them for about $125.00, often with free shipping thrown in. It's easy to use, and easy to clean.

I think that is the one I have too Loprraine. Mine is a dark grey color. It is plastic, but very hard strong plastic. the blade is adjustable and also comes with a julliene blade. The only think I do not like about mine is that there is no stand, so I need to rest it on the blow that I am cutting into. That can be a pain in the butt sometimes.

I have one I got at Williams Sonoma a few years ago. It was around $200. It works well, but I need to use it more often! It's got a cutting guard, but sometimes the vegetables don't fit inside the guard.

Gee, I have a really inexpensive one that my husband bought me as a sort of joke gift. I think he paid $20 for it back in 1995.

It's still going strong & slices veggies paper thin at the drop of a hat. I LOVE it - especially for slicing onions for French Onion Soup..

And imagine that - he paid less than $20 for it & it's still going strong over 20 years later.

Back
Top Bottom