Mandoline/V-Slicer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
Hi everyone. Been looking at v-slicers/mandolines for a few days and maybe interested in getting something. I would like to start out with a lower end unit (no $150 SS Unit) to see how i like it and to see how usefull they are. Don't want something that just sits in the basement and i never use. I've been trying to look at the difference between a madoline and a v-slicer and it looks like the mandoline will just give you must finder adjustments on cut depth and maybe you can't get the ultra thin slices for potato chips on a v-slicer that you could get with a mandoline. Am i correct?

Ive been looking at this unit:
Amazon.com: Swissmar Borner V-Slicer Plus: Home & Garden rates pretty high.

Its hard to find a descent price mandoline that rates high. Ive been pretty happy with most of my oxo stuff but the oxo mandoline doesn't rate very high on amazon:
Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Mandoline Slicer: Home & Garden

What do you guys think. I think i'm going to go with the swissmar v-slicer but trying to decide if there is any reason i should reconsider.

thanks,
Ncage

I have the V slicer you linked. I paid about $30 for it years ago. It's limited to two slice thiknesses and two fries sizes. What it can do it does very well. The diff vs a mandoline is the versatility as you said. I'd recommend buying the V slicer to see if you'd actually use it.

I don't use mine often. Just when I have a lot of same thing slicing to do such as onions for onion soup or cukes for cuke salad, etc.

I have the V slicer you linked. I paid about $30 for it years ago. It's limited to two slice thiknesses and two fries sizes. What it can do it does very well. The diff vs a mandoline is the versatility as you said. I'd recommend buying the V slicer to see if you'd actually use it.

I don't use mine often. Just when I have a lot of same thing slicing to do such as onions for onion soup or cukes for cuke salad, etc.

Great Andy i am glad to know you have the v-slicer so i can ask some questions about it. On the thinest settings....are they pretty thin? Potato Chip thin? Can it do julienne? I seen this blog and would try the following recipe:
http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/06/29/garlic-truffle-fries/

Do you think i could do this?

thanks,
Ncage

I like thin potato chips like Lay's and the V cannot slice that thin. The fries cutter is in two widths. Neither is as wide as 1/2 which is how thick I like my fries. The food in the picture you show is thinner than the V's capabilities.

Back
Top Bottom