Mango splitter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a good idea, never seen one of these!

I just eat them in the bath!

My son gave me one of these for Mother's Day with 6 mangoes!!It works well- I'm a little clumsy so it took a little getting used to.

Hi VickiQ, I have visions of mangoes careering all over the worktop as you try and whack this device down on top of them!

Does it work well with ripe mangoes or is it better with slightly hard ones?

I am sure you have already thought of this Vicki, but for anyone else out there that might not have...may sure to slice a little piece off the bottom of the mango before using this tool to help make to more stable. Of course mangos being as slippery as they are this might not help as much as it does for other things. I think I would probably put the cut end down on a paper towel to help keep it from sliding around.

Another one here who has been plagued by this problem... sounds like a good idea if it works!!

I have no problem cutting mangoes, but did see the CI article. They were even a little surprised that it worked well.
For those who don't know, to cut a mango hold it so that the narrower side is up. Starting at the top middle, slice straight down running the knife along the pit. Repeat on the other side. Take the two halves and make a cross hatch pattern in the meat of the fruit without cutting through the skin. Push the skin upward so that the meat is "standing up". Cut close to the skin.

I have one and it definitely does work ~~ and very well at that! I've always loved mangos but refrained from buying them because of the pitting problem. Now that I have this little gem, I buy them on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom