"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
Everymom

Randy, please don't post garbage, just ask for help. If your link is not advertising any Mod will be happy to help you out.

Grey Measuring Spoon, Magnetic Measuring Spoon, Kitchen Measures

Old 10-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #12
Senior Cook

OK, thanks, Alix; but the link is not showing up in your post so I can't say??

Hmmmmm??? Took a second look and now it seems to display just fine??

Thanks!!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Several points:

Some refrigerators are not magnetic even though they are metal. Frankly, I don't see a burning need to stick measuring spoons to my refrigerator.

Not sure there is a benefit to having measuring spoons that stick together magnetically any more than those that are ringed or chained together.

The first thing I do with a set of measuring spoons is take off the ring/chain and toss it. I like them separate so I don't get them all dirty when I use one. Same for measuring cups.

I've noticed lately that some measuring spoon sets have eliminated the half-tablespoon spoon.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Several points:

Some refrigerators are not magnetic even though they are metal. Frankly, I don't see a burning need to stick measuring spoons to my refrigerator.
Only true for stainless steel. And some is magnetic and some is not.

Not sure there is a benefit to having measuring spoons that stick together magnetically any more than those that are ringed or chained together.
Makes them a lot easier to separate for individual use!!

The first thing I do with a set of measuring spoons is take off the ring/chain and toss it. I like them separate so I don't get them all dirty when I use one. Same for measuring cups.
I do the same; but without the ring/chain the little spoons tend to hide in a crowded kitchen drawer!!

I've noticed lately that some measuring spoon sets have eliminated the half-tablespoon spoon.
My cooking experience is not all that extensive; but I don't recall ever seeing a recipe that called for a half TBS of anything??

Old 10-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote from Randy_

Makes them a lot easier to separate for individual use!

Then do you take the time to reconnect them after you are done with them?

I do the same; but without the ring/chain the little spoons tend to hide in a crowded kitchen drawer!!

Removing the chain/ring separates them permanently then you keep them in a little tray in the drawer so you can find them.

My cooking experience is not all that extensive; but I don't recall ever seeing a recipe that called for a half TBS of anything??

It used to be normal to see a half tablespoon in recipes. Also, it's a lot quicker to measure a half tablespoon than to measure a teaspoon and a half. Also, it dirties fewer spoons.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:27 AM   #16
Senior Cook

That half tablespoon comes in handy when you are reducing a recipe too.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_ View Post
Only true for stainless steel.
Actually, there are plenty of other types that are not magnetic. Many fridges have a front panel that is not magnetic. The front panel is able to be swapped out so if you redo your kitchen you can redo the look of your fridge without buying a new one, These are often not magnetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_ View Post
Makes them a lot easier to separate for individual use!!
What makes it even easier is if they are not stuck together at all. What I do is buy a few sets of measuring spoons and take the rings off. I keep these in a cup on the counter. I have easy access to my spoons this way and they are always right there.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #18
Sous Chef

i guess everyone likes something a little different. i prefer the kind that the word doesn't wash off - i want a tablespoon to say tablespoon.

i don't mind if it's metal or plastic, or from the dollar store or not, as long as it washes easily and you can tell what it is.

for the record, dd likes hers on a ring and i like mine separate. so we have both in our house.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Actually, there are plenty of other types that are not magnetic. Many fridges have a front panel that is not magnetic. The front panel is able to be swapped out so if you redo your kitchen you can redo the look of your fridge without buying a new one, These are often not magnetic.
Good point.

What makes it even easier is if they are not stuck together at all. What I do is buy a few sets of measuring spoons and take the rings off. I keep these in a cup on the counter. I have easy access to my spoons this way and they are always right there.
That works for you which is just fine; but it won't work for me as I have a small kitchen with limited counter space. I already have too much stuff on the counter so the must spoons go in the drawer.
There is always more than one solution to a problem depending upon the specific circumstances.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Quote from Randy_

Makes them a lot easier to separate for individual use!

Then do you take the time to reconnect them after you are done with them?
Of course.

Removing the chain/ring separates them permanently then you keep them in a little tray in the drawer so you can find them.
That would work; but the tray is just one more thing to deal with and idn't reqiored if the spoons are magnetic.

It used to be normal to see a half tablespoon in recipes. Also, it's a lot quicker to measure a half tablespoon than to measure a teaspoon and a half. Also, it dirties fewer spoons.
Then you would be happy with the set I just purchased. It comes with a 1/2 TBS spoon.
My new set arrived in the mail tonight. They are going to be a major improvement over what I have been using; but I can already see a couple of limitations.