"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Measuring Spoons-Need A Recommendation

I need to purchase a new set of measuring spoons. The 99 set from the Dollar Store just won't cut it any more. The thought of paying $15+ for a set of spoons is a little scary; but from what I've seen on the Internet a buck 99 won't get you very much.

I want a set with loooooong handles so they will get into containers like the tall horseradish jars and they need to have narrow bowls to get into narrow-mouthed spice jars and the like. Guess I will have to spring for a SS set as all of the plastic sets I have ever owned have their painted markings wear off after a while.

I don't care for the little rings and chains that keep the sets together in the drawer and the idea of magnetic spoons seems like a kool idea. Sadly, some ideas that look "GOOD" on paper, don't always work out in actual practice.

Anyone out there have a recommendation for a decent set that will not require me to hock my first-born??

TIA

Old 10-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
Head Chef

how about these?
Long Handled Narrow Measuring Spoon Set
I just did a google using the search terms long handle narrow measuring spoons, and several sites came up
and as long as they are stainless steel, you can use a magnetic strip (like for knives) to hang them up. Don't like the ring? cut it off.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks for the suggestion, Kathyl. Those look like an excellent alternative. Initially though, after a lot of thought (been researching this question for several weeks now), I have decided to go with these.

www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-Stainless-Magnetic-Measuring/dp/B001GAQKKW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1255194911&sr=8-4"
(Note: I haven't been around long enough to be allowed to post active links so you will have to copy and paste the above to see what I decided to buy if you are that interested. Hmmmm.....let's see if a newby can post a picture??}

The magnetic feature really intrigues me and these are sort of cool for other reasons as well.....at least on paper and according to reviews. If they don't work out to my satisfaction, then I will go with the set you suggested.

BTW, I'm not sure about the SS that is used for kitchen utensils; but many grades of high quality SS are "NOT" magnetic and would not stick to a strip such as you are suggesting. Guess I will have to get out my trusty magnet and test some of my SS stuff in the kitchen and see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41eCZ9XRiHL._SS500_.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	7636  
Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

i got a set designed to stick together, so you are looking in a drawer for 1/4 tsp. they are plastic with an elongated end and a round end for measuring different things. i can't remember where i got them, but do know is on line. i love em.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Senior Cook

The company that makes the pictured SS spoons..... Progressive..... also makes a plastic set. I bet that's what you have.

Here is a picture of the plastic set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	319Dwsn75AL._SS500_.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	7642  
Old 10-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I like the ones from Lee Valley, Lee Valley Tools - Woodworking Tools, Gardening Tools, Hardware
Old 10-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #7
Senior Cook

www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=45139&cat=2,40733,44734&ap=2"

That is certainly a nice set of spoons and there are a number of web sites that sell sets very similar to that. It was one of my final choices; but the chain thing caused me to go with the set that was magnetic.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_ View Post
The company that makes the pictured SS spoons..... Progressive..... also makes a plastic set. I bet that's what you have.

Here is a picture of the plastic set.

hey randy, that is the one i have. just can't remember where on line i found it. i really like it.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Those look like nice measuring spoons, Randy! You'll have to let us know whether you like them. Now I want to attach a piece of metal to the inside of one of my kitchen cabinets so I can stick measuring spoons to it. How convenient would that be??
Old 10-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Hey Tart:

I read a review of those spoons and saw a comment that the would "NOT" stick to a refrigerator. Don't know if it was because of the design or if the magnets are simply not strong enough? That is something I will check out when I get mine.

One could always buy some little noble earth magnets and super glue them to an existing set of measuring spoons. Don't think the super glue would stick to plastic spoons; but would probably do OK with SS spoons.

Here is a magnetic spoon of a different design and it "might" stick to a metal strip; but it sure looks funny and might be more difficult to use and clean??