"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 05-23-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Meat tenderizer question.

I saw a meat tenderiser at the store today. I wasn't quite sure if I should pick it up.
Is it essential to use in in certain dishes?
How does it "tenderise" the meat?

Old 05-23-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Oops I just realised I shoud have put this in Cook's tools. Sorry for the trouble.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Shaheen:

I moved your thread.

There are a couple of tenderizing tools available. One is a hammer or mallet type with one surface being smooth and the other having diamond-shaped points on it. Striking the surface of meat with the pointed side breaks up the bundles of muscle fiber that make up a cut of meat.

The flat side of this tool is used to flatten out a thick piece of meat into a thin cutlet or scallopine.

Another type is a jacarding tool. That is a device with a series of sharp metal pins that can be used to repeatedly 'stab' a piece of meat with the same effect, breaking up the muscle fibers.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:51 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to GarrettB Send a message via Skype™ to GarrettB
The one I used is a bit of a different shape, and is made by Oxo. It's also the one Alton Brown suggests on his FoodTV show Good Eats, though he doesn't explicitly mention it by name. Here's a pic:

It works great on chicken, which is all I've had a chance to hit. Alternatively you could use a pie tin and a can of vegetables.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:30 AM   #5
Senior Cook

There are many uses for a meat tenderizer. Certain dishes require it. Saltimbocca, for example, and Wiener Schnitzel.

I also bash slices of pork fillet until they are quite thin, then wrap this around English sausages that have been wrapped in Prosciutto. Cook in the oven as for normal chicken. Delicious.

Bashed pork folded over ham and cheese and dipped in breadcrumbs before frying makes a delightful supper dish.

If you have any doubt about how tender your chicken breast is, then give it a couple of whacks with the tenderiser before cooking. It works wonders.

But do try and get a tenderiser with one side flat, Not all meats need bashing with the spikes. (Indeed, very few)

Incidentally, if my tenderizer is not to hand I use a bottle of wine (or the rolling pin!)
Old 05-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Oxo makes one also, which I have.

~Corey123.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettB
Alternatively you could use a pie tin and a can of vegetables.
In a pinch I've also used a hammer (LOL), though I'd not recommend that unless you're totally sure that you're counters can withstand it.

Meat tenderizers are nifty tools to have around, especially as we head into summer and prime BBQ season. Make sure to get one that is double sided (one side is smooth, perfect for flattening things like chicken breasts and veal and the other side has raised bumps/dull spikes and is great for tougher cuts of meat like beef).

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Meat tenderizers

Mechanical meat tenderizers work by cutting the long muscle fibers into shorter ones. The problem is, this pokes holes in the meat that allow juices to escape during cooking. I would never use one, personally, unless it was on meat I was planning to braise, and then there would be no point, because the braising process tenderizes the meat just fine.

Far better to use a product that tenderizes the meat chemically, like one that contails papain, in my opinion. Keep those juices where they belong!

Kelly
Old 06-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM
Mechanical meat tenderizers work by cutting the long muscle fibers into shorter ones. The problem is, this pokes holes in the meat that allow juices to escape during cooking. I would never use one, personally, unless it was on meat I was planning to braise, and then there would be no point, because the braising process tenderizes the meat just fine.

Far better to use a product that tenderizes the meat chemically, like one that contails papain, in my opinion. Keep those juices where they belong!

Kelly
First, "poking holes in the meat" when it's raw will not cause the juices to run out when it's cooking. This is only true if you cut into cooked or partially cooked meats. So pound away.

Second, some chemical meat tenderizers direct you to poke holes into the meat before applying the tenderizer so it will penetrate.

Either is an effective solution.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
Master Chef

There are two different kinds of mechanical meat "tendreizers":

One has pyramid shaped spikes that you bash the meat with like a hammer and only works with thin cuts of meat, like GarrettB posted, and depend on stretching and breaking the long muscle and connective tissue fibers to tenderize the meat. This results in significant flattening (making the meat thinner) in the process. Yes, they do work to a degree ... so does bashing the meat with the edge of a sturdy dinner plate.

The ones with blades that cut the long muscle and connective tissue fibers like the ones made by Jaccard that Andy M. was talking about, do not flatten the meat, can be used with thicker cuts of meat, and generally do a better job since they directly cut the connective tissue. Commercial meat tenderizers (such as the Hobart 403-1) used in grocery stores/butcher shops use this technique ... except they use a pair of offset roller blades and run about $2,500.

The big problem with the chemical meat tenderizers (generally made from dehydrated papain from papaya) that KellyM mentioned it that: the meat still must be punctured liberally and applied with sufficient moisture to allow the tenderizer to dissolve and penetrate the meat. The problem here is one of timing ... papain is a "digestive" enzyme and will cause the surface of the meat to turn to mush if left on for more than about 10-15 minutes before cooking ... which may not be sufficient to "tenderize" the interior of the meat.

What kind of meat tenderizer did you stumble across, Shaheen?