Michigan cutting chopping block review?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
Hello,

Does anyone at DC use a michigan cutting board? I purchased one today and I was wondering what people think about their chopping boards. I purchased the maple end grain block 18x18x3.5 I found it for a really good price with extra discount coupon + $1.00 shipping I thought it was a really good buy.

Attachments

• AJEG1818.jpg
    AJEG1818.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 383
Looks like a beauty. Nice dimensions. With 3.5" thickness is should raise your counter's work height by a nice amount. Only thing is, it must contain a fair amount of glue. Guess it must weigh about 30 lbs? If so, you may not be moving it around much and then, since it has become part of your counter workspace, you might want to protect it when dry and not in use by covering it with a silicon rubber mat or silpat.
$150?

Thanks justplainbill,

I payed $85.00 in total. I was looking for something heavy and also big enough so that I can use it for kneading dough.

Sounds like a good deal. My 18 X 24 X 2.25 Boos cost me $117 and it's so nice looking that I'm reluctant to mar it by using a knife on it. The Boos protects the counter top and provides a solid base for whatever cutting boards or chopping bowls I place on a rubber mat over top of it.
With some silicon mats under the Boos, it's heavy enough not to be prone to sliding on the counter.

Sounds like a good deal. My 18 X 24 X 2.25 Boos cost me $117 and it's so nice looking that I'm reluctant to mar it by using a knife on it. The Boos protects the counter top and provides a solid base for whatever cutting boards or chopping bowls I place on a rubber mat over top of it.
With some silicon mats under the Boos, it's heavy enough not to be prone to sliding on the counter.

That's interesting.

I received my shopping board last monday but probably during shipping the board got a little dent on the side where they past the router. The good thing was that the wood was not damaged at all. I didn't know you could fix dents on wood. I did a few searches on "Fix Wood Dent" and I used the wet cloth / hot iron method and I was able to pull the dent out and fix it. :)

The website recommend applying mineral oil everyday for a full week then once a week for one month then once a month there after for brand new boards. I have been using Emmet's Elixir Cutting Board Conditioner and applying it to the small part that is fixed now.

Sounds like a good deal. My 18 X 24 X 2.25 Boos cost me $117 and it's so nice looking that I'm reluctant to mar it by using a knife on it.

Seriously? I guess I don't want a cutting board like that! What's the point? For that much money I can get 6 poly cutting boards like I've got. And I can put these ones in the DW. True I can't knead bread on it, but when I need to do that I do it on the countertop anyway.

That's a good price ---My Catskill Craftsmen's end grain " slab " is 18 by 18by 3' it cost me more than that ! I see it on Costco online store for $100 ? these boards are NFS ( because bacteria tend to die if left on them ) they don't trap bacteria in knife cuts like plastic boards according to government food safety autorities. I mix raw tung oil with light mineral oil to make my butcher block oil .
also, i recently saw a Boo's stand alone butcher block for around eight or nine hundred , no room sadly as it was a nice height and very solid., the end grain is surprisingly hard isn't it !!
regards gage

Seriously? I guess I don't want a cutting board like that! What's the point? For that much money I can get 6 poly cutting boards like I've got. And I can put these ones in the DW. True I can't knead bread on it, but when I need to do that I do it on the countertop anyway.
The Boos gives me my desired work surface height and due to it's mass is less subject to movement. Poly is not all that gentle on knife edges.

Is tung oil food safe?

Is that from rendered beef tung?:LOL:

The Boos gives me my desired work surface height and due to it's mass is less subject to movement. Poly is not all that gentle on knife edges.

Yeah, I realize that other people have different needs. A commercial chef would be appalled at my knife collection! But it works for me now, and I upgrade as cashflow permits.

Cash flow can be improved by having sharp knives to cope with cheaper tougher cuts of meat

Such as? I need to learn these things! Maybe we need another thread for this. I just found out how cheap it is to buy ham and pork butts and cook them myself! I never knew they could be had for around $1/lb.

in reply to "is tung oil safe? and " Is it from beef tungs ? Buy it from a wood working /bowl maker type store ,they sell it to guys that make salad bowls and such things,, it is from the Tung tree and has no tougues in it.
Without going to look I beleive mine says 100 % Raw Tung oil. google it ,it goes into the wood and sort of hardens up the cells whereas mineral oil will evaporate eventually if I remember rightly , I just pour a bit of each on the board and hand rub it in ,let it sit for a bit and towel of the excess, about three or four times a year.
I've been using it for decades and except for " THE VOICES " I am bumping along O K . Regards gage

I was joking about the beef tung. Next time I'll throw up the joke flag. Or maybe think of something more funny to say.

Sorry I didn't pick up on that ,just got home ,long day , low blood alcohol level. didn't pick up on the laughing icon-- I hate ICONS I do like Exit signs , I have one I use as a stencil ,,, ready for this ??? I'm a exit stencilist Gage ---- fixing the low blood alcohol condition

Back
Top Bottom