"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Mixing Bowls

Ok, help me out if you can. I want new mixing bowls. I've wanted new mixing bowls for a long time.

But I'm picky...

I want a stainless bowl that is parabolic, no raised hump or flat bottom... perfectly curved throughout. I also don't want anything with stamped legs that are tack-welded on to support the bowl (since it would have a round bottom, but it does need some type of support). I also don't want rolled edges, so the bowl needs to either be cast or of sufficient gauge so that it's lip is cut and polished.

Price is of no concern if it's exactly what I want.

Has anyone seen any mixing bowls as described above?

Old 11-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...s+round+bottom

Take a look at some of these and see if any fit your desires.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Nicholas - you have the same pet peeve I do about mixing bowls. I want a rounded bottom and by that I mean on the INSIDE of the bowl, not the outside.

I have been searching and searching for such an "animal". The only thing I have found is at Target. It does have a lip, which I know you don't want. The bottom is a hard rubber but I still wrap a towel around mine for stability when whisking.. BUT, it is the ONLY thing I have found - and I have been looking for a long time for the rounded inside bowls. I think the brand was Oxo.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
Ok, help me out if you can. I want new mixing bowls. I've wanted new mixing bowls for a long time.

But I'm picky...

I want a stainless bowl that is parabolic, no raised hump or flat bottom... perfectly curved throughout. I also don't want anything with stamped legs that are tack-welded on to support the bowl (since it would have a round bottom, but it does need some type of support). I also don't want rolled edges, so the bowl needs to either be cast or of sufficient gauge so that it's lip is cut and polished.

Price is of no concern if it's exactly what I want.

Has anyone seen any mixing bowls as described above?
I want the same bowl, but have yet to find it. Maybe we should make one, market it, and retire on the profits? (I'm only half kidding . ..)
Old 11-05-2006, 12:31 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You are mistaken bullseye - you are only 1/3 kidding

I'm telling you - I have looked for awhile for this bowl and can't find it - the closest I came was to the 3 bowls by Oxo - and I GRABBED them!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the attraction?
Old 03-06-2007, 04:18 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the attraction?
Same here - what problem(s) does the flat bottom create?

No promises, but I think I've seen such a critter in an Asian restaurant supply store locally - but these were being sold as woks. I think they were carbon steel - would this be acceptable?
Also, as woks, they are wider and more shallow than mixing bowl - again, would that be a show-stopper?

Let me know is these sound like something you'd like to pursue.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I have something like that at work...but it's huge. It also comes with a rolling stand, so you can prep in any area of the kitchen. The idea is then to be able to roll the whole thing into a walk-in box. I got it from Hubert, I think. There is a small lip on the outside of the bowl so I can grip the ring in the stand that supports the bowl.

Why must your bowl be this specific?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I got at least 11 or 12 sets of bowls (lost count, really), but I think the most beautiful, attractive and durable set IS the Oxo stainless steel bowl set.

These all have a black rubber coating on the outside from top to bottom. I even saw Emeril using one of these the other night on his show.

But I'm also a bowl freak, which is why I have to stay out of places like BBB, Williams Sonoma and Target.

But no, I haven't this type of bowl. Wait....., they used to have copper bowls like that with a rounded bottom, but it's used mainly for whipping egg whites for meringue with a big balloon whip.

Copper has special qualities in it though, that's supposed to help the egg whites aerrate, foam and rise better while they are being beaten.

There was even at one particular time, copper bowl inserts for K'Aid mixer bowls with this same idea.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
Master Chef

I say buy a wok cut the handle of, bam ... you've got your self what you want>