"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 07-21-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
Senior Cook

More durable probe thermometer?

Well, my Taylor thermometer's probe just died for the second time. First one was under warranty. So now I have a very nice timer.

Can one of you fine folks please recommend a probe thermometer that won't die because it's used on the grill? I NEED one that can handle a 500 degree oven as well as flames occaisonally licking at it.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

It's not Taylor's fault. I have a Polder and burned out a probe by letting it touch the hot grill surface. It's just not meant to deal with temps around 500+ F. If you put the probe into the meat and don't let any part of the probe (not the wire) touch hot metal, you should be OK.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
It's not Taylor's fault. I have a Polder and burned out a probe by letting it touch the hot grill surface. It's just not meant to deal with temps around 500+ F. If you put the probe into the meat and don't let any part of the probe (not the wire) touch hot metal, you should be OK.
And death under normal cooking conditions doesn't scream "Junk!" to you?

I've yet to get more than 5 meals out of a probe, I can't afford to keep replacing these!
Old 07-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Every thermometer has a range of temperatures within which it is effective. Most of the probe type have an upper limit of 390-400 F. Not too many foods need to get hotter than that.

However, if such a probe hits a screaming hot grill surface that's at 500 or 600 F, I may well burn out as its electronics cannot handle the heat.

I don't think that screams junk at all. I think it suggests exposure to temperatures too extreme for its abilities.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I almost posted a new thread on this very same topic, but then noticed that this one already existed. Like the author, I am searching for a probe thermometer (preferably one with a wireless remote monitor) that can be used on the grill. I find it very misleading when probe thermometers advertise as being "perfect for the grill" when the wire cord cannot handle heat above 400F and most grills are preheated to 500-600F for cooking. I've searched Taylor, Maverick, and I bought one from Weber (only to learn that it was a complete piece of junk - a shock coming from Weber, although I realize it was another company's product simply with Weber's name on it).

If anyone ever finds a thermometer that can handle the temperatures of a grill, please let me know. I hate not knowing when my food is done and I'm tired of overcooking the food (or having to open the grill lid every 2 minutes to check for doneness).
Old 07-31-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

The end of the metal probe contains an electronic heat sensor and should be in the meat when it's in the grill. The wire connecting the probe to the display will have no problem in a hot grill. I can't imagine why you want the probe and wire in the grill while it is preheating! That will certainly incinerate the sensor. It's a meat thermometer, not an oven thermometer.

Preheat the grill. Then insert the probe into the thickest part of the meat and plug it in. You should not have a problem.

Allow the tip of the probe to get too hot and it will fry.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
Senior Cook

The intructions to the probe I was looking at said that temperatures above 410F would cause the "wire" of the probe to deteriorate.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Pretty much other than steaks and burgers, I don't cook food at temperatures over 400 F. Poultry, beef, lamb and pork roasts all are cooked at 400 F or less.

I guess I don't understand how you are using your probe and grill.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:30 PM   #9
Head Chef

There's just no way around it... don't let that wire rest on
the grill surface or oven element.
I've learned to be careful with placement!