Mountain woods cutting boards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
Since a few people exspressed an interest in how I faired with them, I figured I'd post an update. I got a third one today. after watching something on the today show this week I realized that I am a hunter gatherer and my prey is Kitchen stuff at least for now.
Anyway I love them so far I have the 16 x 16, the 12 x 12 and now the 8 x 8. If I had seen the 12 x 18 before I got the 1st 2 I would have gotten it because my last cutting board was longer and I like having lots of chopping real estate. Chop a little onion push to the side, chop a little pepper push to another side so on so forth.
So far I've oiled 5 of the 6 sides 3 times. I am standing it on edge so that the other sides can dry.
The downside that I suspect is that I suspect that the wood that mountain woods uses is not as hard as what Boos uses. I suspect this because maybe half the ones I see on the store shelves, have a piece broken out of the routed in side handles. Granted this is Ross and the housewares are pretty well picked over, through, under and generally strewn everywhere. I think that if you treat it well you shouldn't have a problem. It's not delicate at all.
As for using it, I love it. It's heavy, its rock solid. It dosent move or slide or twist , it's just there. I like that it's 2.5" thick it's a more comfortable cutting position.
I am using a pretty sharp diamond stone sharpened blade and it isn't showing any scratches.
If I ever have a problem with it I'll post it.
I am wondering how many coats of oil to put on it.
Also my Chef friend is telling me that wood boards harbor germs and can't be thoroughly cleaned. Any truth to that ?

Also my Chef friend is telling me that wood boards harbor germs and can't be thoroughly cleaned. Any truth to that ?

Not according to this study.

Sorry, but I didn't read your original post. I have stopped using plastic boards and use only wood (bamboo) now. Seems to be much better for the knives and, apparently, more hygienic.

I wash them with soap and water and dry thoroughly -- and, course, oil them regularly.

suzyQ3 said:

Not according to this study.

Sorry, but I didn't read your original post. I have stopped using plastic boards and use only wood (bamboo) now. Seems to be much better for the knives and, apparently, more hygienic.

I wash them with soap and water and dry thoroughly -- and, course, oil them regularly.
This is what I have been taught recently, but I am glad to have this study to back it up. Hate to rely on only hearsay.

I have the 16x16 Mountain wood butcher block and got it for a steal:) So far its holding up well here:)

SuzyQ3, that was an interesting article. And to think I've been using plastic boards lately... eeek! Does anyone know the best (i.e. cheapest!) place to get mountain woods boards?

Thanks! :)

There are so many studies on wood and plastic boards. For ever study that says wood is the best there are just as many that say that plastic is better. The bottom line is that they are both very good and each have their own sets of positives and negatives. Both are good choices to use for both your knives and your health.

dalentam said:
SuzyQ3, that was an interesting article. And to think I've been using plastic boards lately... eeek! Does anyone know the best (i.e. cheapest!) place to get mountain woods boards?

Thanks! :)
You're very welcome, and I'm glad it helped. In addition to the new research, I much prefer the look of wood, even after it's been used, to the staining I used to get with my plastic cutting boards. I have two bamboo boards, and they are as beautiful as they are functional.

Back
Top Bottom