"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #31
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
My little grand kids don't understand advances in technology quite yet. They can't believe there were no such thing as an iPhone around the time they were born. They wonder how we Facetimed or talked to Siri when we were younger.
It's called camping w/o electric or wifi service. We also orchestrated electricity is out nights, lighting candles, playing board games, TALKING. OHHHH and another favorite, a night around the campfire.
__________________

__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 10,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
It's called camping w/o electric or wifi service. We also orchestrated electricity is out nights, lighting candles, playing board games, TALKING. OHHHH and another favorite, a night around the campfire.
Oh yeah, we do those things as well.
__________________

__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #33
Head Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Pacific Grove, CA
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm firmly the category of amazed at the changes in technology during my lifetime. I was born into a world without TV and all that has come along since. Neighbors had ice boxes with actual ice deliveries. Manual transmissions were "standard" in cars. Automatics came later and were a luxury.

I consider the period from the start of the 20th century to today a period of unprecedented advances in technology. One of the most amazing periods in history.

I agree totally....
What I find interesting, to me, is that my grandfather, who was a big part of my upbringing, was born in 1875 and died in 1959.. I recall, as a young adult, marveling at the great new things available to me and wondering what my grandfather must have felt of the changes during his lifetime..

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #34
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
I agree totally....
What I find interesting, to me, is that my grandfather, who was a big part of my upbringing, was born in 1875 and died in 1959.. I recall, as a young adult, marveling at the great new things available to me and wondering what my grandfather must have felt of the changes during his lifetime..

Ross
My father-in-law was the implement of one of the biggest changes in his own life. When his father-in-law, Burwell Lippett, retired from farming and turned the farm over to him shortly after WWII, he retired the draft horses and got to start "modern" farming with a used, 1940 era tractor. He turned 94 years young this last weekend, and he has seen monumental changes in both his world of farming, as well as in most other things involved in everyday life.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #35
Head Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Pacific Grove, CA
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
My father-in-law was the implement of one of the biggest changes in his own life. When his father-in-law, Burwell Lippett, retired from farming and turned the farm over to him shortly after WWII, he retired the draft horses and got to start "modern" farming with a used, 1940 era tractor. He turned 94 years young this last weekend, and he has seen monumental changes in both his world of farming, as well as in most other things involved in everyday life.
A marvelous story... Thank you...

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
My son got one as a gift over a year ago, Still sitting in the box. Now you've got me curious .

I can understand. We were given one for Christmas last year and returned by the end of January because we found it too confusing and useless for our lifestyle.
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.