My New Cyber Crush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blissful, "Her" was a strangely interesting movie. I felt really sad for the lead character at the end...

Talking about voice activation, Himself was watching something on PBS TV. His Google tablet was in the basket next to his chair, with the microphone "live", since he has it turned on. (Mind you, this is a deep basket, filled with all kinds of paper stuff, and is tucked between his recliner and the wall.) The reporter was talking about voice commands, and proceeded to say "OK, Google, play ________". Neither of us can remember what the song was, but all of a sudden his tablet starts playing it via Youtube! :LOL:

I've told him he has the TV turned up too loud, but does he believe me??? :rolleyes:

I use either Siri or a voice command on google via their app. I find Google delivers better, more direct answers while Siri provides you with a list of websites to read so you can find the answer.

"OK, Google, play ________". Neither of us can remember what the song was, but all of a sudden his tablet starts playing it via Youtube! :LOL:
Funny! I can see my DH having that happening. He thinks technology is nearly magical.

I use either Siri or a voice command on google via their app. I find Google delivers better, more direct answers while Siri provides you with a list of websites to read so you can find the answer.

That's weird as I find it is almost the opposite.
My son has Siri and I find the 'she' gives more of a verbal answer. I don't see my son that often and I find that this is usual when he does use it around me.

I have an android and use Google. Sometimes a direct answer comes out along with a list of sites, but often more often just the web sites. Maybe it is the question or the way the question is put...

I'm pretty sure my first marriage could have been replaced by Siri, a meal service, and a vibrating bed, I know he would have been happier that way.

Funny! I can see my DH having that happening. He thinks technology is nearly magical.

I sometimes think it is, too. I remember reading a book in the 1980s about artificial intelligence. At that time, most of the experts thought that voice recognition was at least 50 years off, and that it would take much longer for computers to be able to develop language comprehension of any sort. It seems like this AI stuff has progressed at an unbelievable pace in just the last 5 years.

But I'm STILL waiting for routine trips to the moon, like what was predicted in "2001: A Space Oddysey", or robots that are indistinguishable from humans, as we saw in the original "Blade Runner." :ohmy:

I'm firmly the category of amazed at the changes in technology during my lifetime. I was born into a world without TV and all that has come along since. Neighbors had ice boxes with actual ice deliveries. Manual transmissions were "standard" in cars. Automatics came later and were a luxury.

I consider the period from the start of the 20th century to today a period of unprecedented advances in technology. One of the most amazing periods in history.

My little grand kids don't understand advances in technology quite yet. They can't believe there were no such thing as an iPhone around the time they were born. They wonder how we Facetimed or talked to Siri when we were younger. :LOL:

My little grand kids don't understand advances in technology quite yet. They can't believe there were no such thing as an iPhone around the time they were born. They wonder how we Facetimed or talked to Siri when we were younger. :LOL:

It's called camping w/o electric or wifi service. We also orchestrated electricity is out nights, lighting candles, playing board games, TALKING. OHHHH and another favorite, a night around the campfire.

I'm firmly the category of amazed at the changes in technology during my lifetime. I was born into a world without TV and all that has come along since. Neighbors had ice boxes with actual ice deliveries. Manual transmissions were "standard" in cars. Automatics came later and were a luxury.

I consider the period from the start of the 20th century to today a period of unprecedented advances in technology. One of the most amazing periods in history.

I agree totally....
What I find interesting, to me, is that my grandfather, who was a big part of my upbringing, was born in 1875 and died in 1959.. I recall, as a young adult, marveling at the great new things available to me and wondering what my grandfather must have felt of the changes during his lifetime..

Ross

I agree totally....
What I find interesting, to me, is that my grandfather, who was a big part of my upbringing, was born in 1875 and died in 1959.. I recall, as a young adult, marveling at the great new things available to me and wondering what my grandfather must have felt of the changes during his lifetime..

Ross

My father-in-law was the implement of one of the biggest changes in his own life. When his father-in-law, Burwell Lippett, retired from farming and turned the farm over to him shortly after WWII, he retired the draft horses and got to start "modern" farming with a used, 1940 era tractor. He turned 94 years young this last weekend, and he has seen monumental changes in both his world of farming, as well as in most other things involved in everyday life.

My father-in-law was the implement of one of the biggest changes in his own life. When his father-in-law, Burwell Lippett, retired from farming and turned the farm over to him shortly after WWII, he retired the draft horses and got to start "modern" farming with a used, 1940 era tractor. He turned 94 years young this last weekend, and he has seen monumental changes in both his world of farming, as well as in most other things involved in everyday life.

A marvelous story... Thank you... :)

Ross

Back
Top Bottom