"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I don't understand the OP needing different knives than his SO. I'm not a good person to ask questions about social stuff or psychological issues. The way I see it a knife is a knife no matter who is doing the cooking, so I have no answer that directly addresses the OP's question.
Let's see if I can enlighten. When I got Shrek, he was housebroken, but not trained. I could trust he would not act out too much in public and he treated others with respect. However, once he got home the gloves were off. He put knives in the sink, he used them in the pots and pans, he once used a bread knife to cut the handle down on a broom (I still don't know why) and his knives were just tossed in a drawer with everything else. The knives were a horrid mess.

I introduced him to my, inexpensive, but quality knives, mostly knives my Dad gave me when he would replace his own knives. I was willing to allow the ogre of my life to use my knives...to my horror, he tossed out the cardboard sleeves they had and treated them like his knives. Even as he mistreated them, he extolled on the sharpness and handling of my once beautiful knives. The day I cut my hand open on a knife tossed in the dish water was the last straw. I gifted him my set of knives and prevailed upon my Dad to help me purchase another set.

Shrek and I have an understanding, no knives in dishwater (there was a lot of blood) and my knives are off limits, even now after 31 years...he is "The Knife Killer" and accepts his role in life.

But, not everyone is as possessive as I am of my knives and some are more so. I understand the OP not wanting his wife to feel like he usurping her role as nurturer of their family. However, while it is needed in their case, he deserves to have the tools that he feels comfortable with. If she gives her approval then he can do as he needs in "her" kitchen, including replacing the knives she has used, for something he would like to use.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #32
Executive Chef

I got some feeling from the OP about his knives vs. her knives. I'm just saying that I can't address that problem because it's above my skill level. I'm not Dr. Phil. I have no idea about that stuff.

He threw your knives in the dish water? The horror, the horror! I'm not making fun of you here. When you're done using a knife you rinse it off, dry it, and put it back in the block. If somebody doesn't understand that then they should be on the other side of the bar or counter, sipping something and amusing the chef while he or she does the cooking.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I got some feeling from the OP about his knives vs. her knives. I'm just saying that I can't address that problem because it's above my skill level. I'm not Dr. Phil. I have no idea about that stuff.

He threw your knives in the dish water? The horror, the horror! I'm not making fun of you here. When you're done using a knife you rinse it off, dry it, and put it back in the block. If somebody doesn't understand that then they should be on the other side of the bar or counter, sipping something and amusing the chef while he or she does the cooking.
My point exactly! Aside from the sliced palm.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Also, don't mess with the chef. He or she has plenty of sharp, dangerous objects close at hand.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Fortunately my wife has taken a shine to one of our more expensive knives (~$140). I count this as being fortunate for me since she does most of the slicing and dicing and I only have to do a 20 minute touch up to that knife's edge once every two or so months. I sharpen it to the point where it will cut through four layers of cocktail napkin with very light pressure. When freshly sharpened it does a passable job of slashing raw bread dough but the SG2 steel does not take and hold as sharp an edge nor slash raw bread dough has well as my S30V blade.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It might be a good idea to start by having your current knives professionally sharpened.
Absoluterly. The most dangerous piece of equipment in the kitchen is a dull knife. If your wife has had these knives for a number, then you can be sure they have developed a dullness that needs service. William and Sonama sharpen knives. Or look in the yellow pages for a place near you. But get them sharpened. You will be glad you did.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have one of those "rod things" (there's probably a correct word) which I use every several times I use each knife, and the improvement is easily noticeable.
The proper name for that rod thing is a "Steel." Don't mean to be a smartalek, just though you would like to know.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
... The day I cut my hand open on a knife tossed in the dish water was the last straw...

I had a similar incident Christmas day. SO was in Florida and my daughters were spending the day with me. The younger was very helpful in clearing the dinner table and rinsing off all the dishes as my dishwasher was broken and my backup was in Florida.

Later, when I was attacking the mess, I found my carving knife in the sink along with dishes, silverware and other stuff.

I appreciated help a great deal but mentioned the faux pas.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Knives are different from other utensils in that you are likely to need the same knife on different cutting jobs during preparation of the same meal. Most likely you will not want to cross-contaminate foods so it only makes sense to wash the knife off (usually just rinsing under hot water), dry it off and put it back in the block where it is once again available for use. Then when you need another knife they're all there in the block, ready to choose the best knife for the job. When you're done cooking dinner you should end up with all the knives used in preparation already cleaned and back stored in the knife block.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #40
Head Chef

That's my way. Partly because I do almost everything with two very similar chef's knives and partly in defense of the knives.

Tags
knives