"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

My Own Knives?

The wife has been our cook for 33 + years now, and her M.S. (diagnosed in 2006) has been getting the best of her lately. So, I'm learning to cook more than just burgers and pancakes, for the sake of both of us.

Anything and Everything (there are always tools and gadgets out there that we DON'T have, but anyway........) that I could possibly need for cooking, are available in drawers, or on shelves in our kitchen.

That said, I wonder if (of course I COULD, but whether it is necessary or not is another matter) I should go out and buy myself my OWN 4 piece set of cutlery?

Let's see...........I'll need a Chef's Knife, a Paring Knife, a Bread Knife, a Boning Knife, and a Roast Knife..........is that it?

Those alone could cost me quite a bit for a good set, I'll bet! Perhaps I should just use HERS????????

-Nutmegger1957

-Nutmegger1957
Nutmegger1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
Master Chef

I am a firm believer in using what you have until you know what you need but, I'm cheap and boring!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Master Chef

I'd use hers (unless she's possessive about it and feels it is one more loss in what she can control) until and unless you get a feel for what you like and don't. Once you do, buy what you want one piece at a time. Unless you find you don't like hers, I can't imagine any reason for two full sets of knives in a household.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

If you're new to cooking, use her stuff for a while and identify any shortcomings. Then buy to fill the need.

You don't have to buy a set. Buy the knives one at a time. Chef's and paring are the most used. A bread knife if you cut a lot of bread. Most people never use a boning knife for boning.

Of course, all this goes out the window if you just WANT to buy new knives.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I stood in Stop & Shop this morning in the aisle where all the kitchen gadgets, pans and tools are............I saw the prices on the various individual knives and knife sets.
(We have a kitchen supply store in town too, and I've been there, but didn't price their knives. I figure THEIRS are even MORE expensive).

In the end, I didn't buy any, mostly because I figure I can use what we already have.

What strikes me, as I explore learning about different knives, is the vast array of materials are available. Both for the blade, as well as the handles.

I've been a knife carrier for other more common tasks, my entire life. It started way back when my grandfather gave me my first pocket knife when I was 10 or so. But this type of "knife buying" is another animal altogether.

As for my wife's set. She's had that set for perhaps 25 years or so now. Most, if not all of the knives are still useable, and get used all the time. I'm sure they don't have the edge on them that they once did, but she never asks me to sharpen them, and we keep them in the wood block they came in.

-Nutmegger1957

-Nutmegger1957
Old 01-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

It might be a good idea to start by having your current knives professionally sharpened.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Andy, I don't disagree. However, I'm a fairly "outdoorsy" kinda guy, and have been sharpening knives for years. I'm sure I could do it just fine, if she would let me. I believe she knows I can do it...............it's just a possessive thing on her part I think.

She certainly allows me to use all her things in the kitchen, (after all, it truly IS "her kitchen") and trusts me ...........but still.........

That's why I wanted my own set of knives.

Hey, I'm almost CERTAIN she wouldn't want me buying my own skillet!! (lol).

-Nutmegger1957

-Nutmegger1957
Old 01-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

OK. My point was to have sharp knives. If she doesn't want you to do it. Have them done professionally so you have sharp knives. You know a sharp knife is a valuable tool.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Head Chef

How were the knives sharpened before? However it was, it's still sharpening HER knives. And if it helps here, it's HER knives in HER kitchen, where you're now "helping out." If her cognitive condition allows (highly variable with MS), involve her as much as she's able. Not every serious cook could easily turn the kitchen wholly over to someone else. Maybe it's just best to ask her if she thinks you should use her knives or buy more for you to use. I suspect that, when she thinks about it that way, even if the whole idea of "losing" her kitchen is troubling, she will say it would be silly to buy new knives, because it would be. But it would be HER decision to give them over. And right now, being able to make as many decisions as possible is important. Once the new situation becomes the norm, you can, if you want, involve her in deciding about any new knife in the kitchen where YOU BOTH then operate. You see - she's not out - it's just that you're now in, too.

A lot of us would buy far more knives than we need, just because we find neat ones. (Actually, a lot of use HAVE bought far more kitchen stuff than we need, but that's part of the fun.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Sous Chef

If you do choose to buy new knives I would go to the resturant supply store for sure, the prices will be better than say Bed, Bath & Beyond. I would implore you not to buy knives at the supermarket. I am of the mindset when you buy cookware {knives in particular} on the cheap you will end up replacing them at least once, possibly more. Buy once, buy quality and have something that will last a lifetime. IMO

Tags
knives