Need feedback on immersion blenders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mortar and pestle is the way to go for spices in my experience. I love mine and use it all the time. Doesn't do cinnamon all that well though but for curry paste, dry spices, and a few things like tapenade and som tom it's great

We have a molajete and when time is no concern, it gets used.

I think I'll be looking at one of these. We use our immersion blender a lot and the plastic keeps cracking. It is a cuisinart. On a side note, we are finding spice/coffee grinders falling way short of expectations. As much as we use ours to grind spices, we hardly get a few months use before they start cracking or breaking.

I have a Kitchen Aid blade type coffee grinder with a removable ss grinding cup and blade, nice for wash up, that has held up really well. It looks to be a discontinued model, of course. Bought a second one just in case, but haven't needed it yet.

I think a mortar and pestle is a little more efficient than a mocajete with the ridges and it's a lot easier to clean than a coffee grinder, I use my mocajete for grinding corn for tortillas. I abandoned my coffee grinder for spices years ago

Mortar and pestle is the way to go for spices in my experience. I love mine and use it all the time. Doesn't do cinnamon all that well though but for curry paste, dry spices, and a few things like tapenade and som tom it's great
My exDH got the hand spice grinder. I haven't found one like it since. It was like a small meat grinder. It didn't have any plates. It had a conical thing with ridges instead. You could powder cinnamon in that baby. It was great for curries.

I think a mortar and pestle is a little more efficient than a mocajete with the ridges and it's a lot easier to clean than a coffee grinder, I use my mocajete for grinding corn for tortillas. I abandoned my coffee grinder for spices years ago
I'm confuse. I thought a mocajete was a type of mortar and pestle.

I just recently broke the danged pestle that goes with my marble mortar. :(

I'm confuse. I thought a mocajete was a type of mortar and pestle.

I just recently broke the danged pestle that goes with my marble mortar. :(

A molcajete IS a type of mortar and pestle. They usually have a rougher stone surface than a m&p.

I just bought the Cuisinart quick-prep immersion blender (csb-33). So far I am not impressed with it. This one must be the bottom of their line.

Ooh, pretty.

What size do you have? How much does it weigh?

I once saw a gorgeous, large, granite mortar and pestle for quite inexpensive, but I was put off by the weight.

I got the square one at the bottom of the page. I only use it to grind spices so I didn't think I needed a huge one. It's probably 6 or 7 pounds. Well made and has a thick bottom. Should last lifetimes.

I have a Cuisinart that works well. It came with a sack full of attachments that I have never used, however.

I used to have one made by braun that had a plastic housing at the business end - that was a fail! One of the primary things I use an immersion blender for is pureeing soups and sauces - they are hot and that plastic just didn't cut it.

One improvement I would like to see is a retractable cord on these things - the cord always ends up tangled and twisted.

blend1.jpg

So, Frank, did you buy two?

No, we just got the one. I went a long time without one, it was rare that I said to myself I wished I had one. I have used it a couple of times and Kathleen has used it a couple as well. It is more convenient but not earth shatteringly so.

If it died today I would be more upset about the cost per use than being with out it.

another vote for cuisinart. i almost got arrested when an ex -gf and i broke up, and she took my cuisinart boat motor out of my stuff (we shared an apt. on 72nd and colombus, just off:the park) and i took it back before she got home.

true story. nyc cops are great. they just gave her that look...

btw, imo, wolfgang puck stuff is crapola. my wife has bought his stuff, including knives and baking things on qvc ( she's addicted), and it's worse than the cheapest crap you find in chinatown on blankets on the street or in tourist shops for $5.

no offense, s&p.

maybe you got his original pre production swag.

We have Wolfgang's 3 piece set which includes a hand mixer, and a motor which is used with the standard blender, the immersion blender, and the food processor. Is it the most amazing thing I ever saw? No, but it does what we bought it for and that is small blender jobs, immersion blending, and the hand mixer is quite adequate. We needed things to stock the kitchen down here before we moved here permanently. I have my KA Pro stand mixer and KA Pro food processor for the big jobs.

The immersion blender is actually quite good, better than either of the other ones we've owned - both cheapies that my wife bought. She equates cheap with economical and I've never really convinced her otherwise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom