"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Cook

Arrow Need help to buy a pizza stone for a large pizza for less than 10 Canadian $ !!

Hi guys, i have decided that i buy a pizza stone, and it should b big enough so that a large size pizza can easily sit on it. I want it to be less than 10, or maximum 20 Canadian Dollars. AND NOT MORE THAN THAT PRICE. Can you guys help me where can i buy a pizza stone of this kind in Toronto!! And will be be ok if it is a 'ceramic' pizza stone. This will be my first pizza stone ! So, please help me by giving me links to buy some good pizza stone of my preferences.

maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Everymom

Maria, Safeway sells pizza stones for $9.99 right next to their Milena pizza display. You will need to season it when you get it home. (Do an advanced search on that as there are many threads here dedicated to seasoning) They are 15 inches at least. Is that big enough for you?

Old 08-31-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Target has the stones that will fit both your pizza and your pocketbook.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
Cook

Thanks Licia :-)

Thnx Alix, can i see any of its details online? Where exactly is Safeway? is it a supermarket? and where is 'Milena pizza display' ? And what is seasoning??
those are a lot of questions :-)
I'm sorry i dunno anything u r talking about, can u explain me in detail.

Also, i have an electric oven. And i see on many sites selling pizza stone for toaster oven. Is my oven and the Toaster Oven the same? ...??!?!?
maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I'm sure you have Zehrs or Zehrs Superstore in Toronto and the GTA... I recall seeing pizza stones there in the $10-$12 range. I also believe that IKEA has them. All else fails, open up the yellow pages and look up the list of kitchen/restaurant supply stores in the GTA, I'm sure there are many!

I purchased my last one at a restaurant supply store here in Windsor about 5 years ago; it's 35cm square and cost roughly $10. BTW, I do suggest you get a square one rather than a round one, it gives you more surface area and more leeway when you slide the pizza on and off the heated stone. A pizza stone is also great for baking bread, and I can easily fit two loaves on my square stone.

Many people also recommend purchasing a large unglazed tile from a building or flooring centre, but I've yet to find one that sells tiles large enough here in Windsor, perhaps in the GTA you'd have better luck.

Hope this helps a bit.

G
Old 08-31-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
Senior Cook

licia: there are no Targets up here (wish there were)

Alix: I don't think there are Safeways in this area either
Old 08-31-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria View Post
...Also, i have an electric oven. And i see on many sites selling pizza stone for toaster oven. Is my oven and the Toaster Oven the same? ...??!?!?
If you have a full size oven you want a large pizza stone. A toaster oven is a countertop appliance with a much smaller oven.

G
Old 08-31-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Hardware store, large Terracotta tiles. Cheap.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
Everymom

No Safeway? Weird. I thought they were all the way across Canada. Um...did you try Superstore (that would be Loblaws I think?) I know they have them too.

Seasoning is basically where you smear oil on your pizza stone and put it in your oven at the highest heat it will go to (with your hood fan on high too!) and get it smokin'. This will create a nice finish on the stone so your pizza just slides on and off.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:10 PM   #10
Head Chef

Go to the hardware or garden center and get a large plant saucer and turn it upside down instant pizza stone and it is cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Failing that go to a flooring store and get unglazed quarry tile that what I use and have used them for years. I had them cut to fit a lipped cookie sheet that fills my oven so the do not move on me when I put my bread or pizza on them and I leave it in the oven and if one breakes it does not cost a fortune to replace it go for it.