"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Need recommendations for a mandoline

strum-a-strum-a-strum
"lady of spain i adore yooooouuuuu, right from the first time i saw yoooouuuuu"
(playing my mandolin)

i am looking for a food mandoline, not the musical kind (spelled without a "e").

i've seen prices range from cheapo plastic ones at about $20, to all stainless steel for about $130.
does anyone have a recommendation for which one they have, or would like to buy?

tia

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

BT:

I have a 'V' Slicer I use for mandoline functions. It's certainly not as sturdy or as versatile as a top of the line itm but for $30. it does the basics. It slices in a couple of thicknesses and makes two sizes of french fry cuts.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

buckster, I got the Oxo one at Wms Sonoma. I really like it. I think it's about $70. You can get them elsewhere, but I haven't seen a lower price for this brand.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
Everymom

Mine is a cheapo job and it cuts my fingers off just as well as the expensive kind.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Mine is a cheapo job and it cuts my fingers off just as well as the expensive kind.
you still type quite well, alix.

thanks andy and 'bug. i saw the oxo one for about $60 or $70 in an outlet store at the crossings mall in the poconos last weekend. i think i'll look into getting that one. i have and like several of their other products (knives, peelers, graters, salad spinner, etc.)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Maybe I'll just stay away from these things, then... Knives are enough of a problem for me...

John
Old 12-02-2005, 09:57 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I was only familiar with the musical version of anything that resembles this name, now I know what you guys are talking about after a little googling... well when you look for a kitchen gadget put the user-friendliness, durability and ease of cleaning ahead of the cost. If either of these concerns fail to acheive the standard level, it will end up being a waste of money no matter how much or little you pay. I looked at Oxo and they look pretty decent... even if you shell out a bit more at the beginning if the performance is satisfactory it will be well worth it... after all you are not getting a kitchen decoration, something functional!!
Old 12-02-2005, 09:58 AM   #8
Master Chef

Mine is hand made and is about 20 years old. It's not your fancy one that is sold for $100 bucks, but it works. So I am against the fancy ones, just way too much money.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I've used the V-slicer for many years - in fact so long that the blades aren't sharp enough. I think my son paid around $30 for it about 20 or so years ago. They weren't so easy to find then so they may have come down in price, OR they may have gone up. I bought one of the Oxo type and it was too hard to use, but I may have been expecting it to be as simple as the V-slicer. I took it back and am still looking for the perfect one.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:52 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

licia:

Check out the link in my earlier post. I have one like this and it's simple and easy to use.