Need recommendations for a mandoline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
strum-a-strum-a-strum
"lady of spain i adore yooooouuuuu, right from the first time i saw yoooouuuuu"
(playing my mandolin)

i am looking for a food mandoline, not the musical kind (spelled without a "e").

i've seen prices range from cheapo plastic ones at about $20, to all stainless steel for about $130.
does anyone have a recommendation for which one they have, or would like to buy?

tia

BT:

I have a 'V' Slicer I use for mandoline functions. It's certainly not as sturdy or as versatile as a top of the line itm but for $30. it does the basics. It slices in a couple of thicknesses and makes two sizes of french fry cuts.

buckster, I got the Oxo one at Wms Sonoma. I really like it. I think it's about $70. You can get them elsewhere, but I haven't seen a lower price for this brand.

Alix said:
Mine is a cheapo job and it cuts my fingers off just as well as the expensive kind.

you still type quite well, alix.

thanks andy and 'bug. i saw the oxo one for about $60 or $70 in an outlet store at the crossings mall in the poconos last weekend. i think i'll look into getting that one. i have and like several of their other products (knives, peelers, graters, salad spinner, etc.)

Alix said:
Mine is a cheapo job and it cuts my fingers off just as well as the expensive kind.

Maybe I'll just stay away from these things, then... Knives are enough of a problem for me...

:-p

John

I was only familiar with the musical version of anything that resembles this name, now I know what you guys are talking about after a little googling... well when you look for a kitchen gadget put the user-friendliness, durability and ease of cleaning ahead of the cost. If either of these concerns fail to acheive the standard level, it will end up being a waste of money no matter how much or little you pay. I looked at Oxo and they look pretty decent... even if you shell out a bit more at the beginning if the performance is satisfactory it will be well worth it... after all you are not getting a kitchen decoration, something functional!!

Mine is hand made and is about 20 years old. It's not your fancy one that is sold for $100 bucks, but it works. So I am against the fancy ones, just way too much money.

I've used the V-slicer for many years - in fact so long that the blades aren't sharp enough. I think my son paid around $30 for it about 20 or so years ago. They weren't so easy to find then so they may have come down in price, OR they may have gone up. I bought one of the Oxo type and it was too hard to use, but I may have been expecting it to be as simple as the V-slicer. I took it back and am still looking for the perfect one.

licia:

Check out the link in my earlier post. I have one like this and it's simple and easy to use.

buckytom said:
you still type quite well, alix.

Amazing what you can do with a pencil between your teeth BT.

Seriously though, I think mine is one of those "You Saw it on TV" jobs. It was my Mom's and she gave it to me. I have no complaints about it, the thing is pretty danged sharp, just don't use it with wet fingers BT.

Andy, that is the same one I have. I've had it for many years and the blades on the Vpart aren't as sharp as they were. I still use it, but it is a bit harder to use. I'll probably get another of the same kind. Thanks a bunch.

Hi Bucky - I paid a lot for it but I love my Bron Marque - a few things IMHO don't work well when made of plastic - a garlic press, one of those cheese graters like some Italian restaurants use to grate Parmesan cheese on your food, and a mandolin. You can really fine-tune the thickness/thinness of things and make perfect waffle fries or carrots. The sharpness of the blades is what made me switch. You just have to get used to using a shorter stroke so the guide doesn't run off the top but it's easy to get used to. Potatoes Dauphinois just can't get any easier, nor can paper thin cucumbers in vinegar and sour cream.

This is a really good price.

Last edited:
Oxo.

This one has served me very well since I got it last summer. It's very good and cleanup's a snap! The parts can be disassembled to aid in fast cleanup.:chef:

Watch out for the blades on these items though, as they are razor-sharp and extremely dangerous!!:ermm:

~Corey123.

I've got one from Linens & Things that Wifey bought for me some time ago. It pretty much stays in the box it came in and sits in the cupboard. The blade isn't sharp enough. A tomato turns to mush when sliced since it can't cut the skin and carrots seem to snap in half before they get cut. It does slice potatos decent but I can do that just as fast with my knife anyways. The cuts may not all be exactly the same size but who cares. It looks more homemade that way.

thanks everyone. i ended up getting the oxo for a gift. i'm going to use it saturday night, for a special new years eve dinner. now i just have to come up with an idea for what to make.
the entree is either going to be lobster or red snapper, depending on which looks better, stuffed with shrimp and crab. i might also make monkfish en brodo, or chunks of monk in a light tomato/saffron/roasted garlic broth, with julienne of carrot and fennel.

anyone have any recipe for a good (mostly seafood) stuffing?

buckytom said:
thanks everyone. i ended up getting the oxo for a gift. i'm going to use it saturday night, for a special new years eve dinner. now i just have to come up with an idea for what to make.
the entree is either going to be lobster or red snapper, depending on which looks better, stuffed with shrimp and crab. i might also make monkfish en brodo, or chunks of monk in a light tomato/saffron/roasted garlic broth, with julienne of carrot and fennel.

anyone have any recipe for a good (mostly seafood) stuffing?

I think it would be kinda hard to get a lobster through the mandolin:ROFLMAO:

I use 3 different mandolins at work depending on the job and the desired end product. I use my Benriner for finer Julianne slices of almost anything. ( great for long thin strands of cantaloupe to toss with prosciutto ham or for a great fruit salsa ), I use my Broner V slicer for tomatoes and onion slices. We use a commercial Bron mandolin for the grunt work like slicing cases of potatoes and Julianne slices of squash and zucchinis by the case.

Back
Top Bottom