"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
Head Chef

At 3/4 you can walk on that top. The weak link is the stand, not the top. The edges can be finished with self adhesive veneer. Nice job.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I don't know what size your wire "cart" top is, but for a small wire shelf rack that I put in the kitchen, I found floor tiles that were EXACTLY the right size to drop down into the top. They fit perfectly front to back and there's a couple inches left at the sides. They are very attractive and only cost me two or three dollars for both.

Tiles are all just slightly different in size, I bought these tiles at the same time I bought the rack so I could fit them in until I found two that fit in snuggly, not too loose and not too tight.

Alternatively you could take just the top shelf with you to the hardware store to find the perfect combination of tiles. If I had a tile cutter or nippers, I could easily have found a 1 piece rectangular tile to fit in there, just nipping off the corners to clear the round posts. I plan on doing something similar for my other sets of wire shelves eventually, but I needed this right away so I could use that little shelf to set my blenders on.

Yes I said "blenders". My son's, and mine. His is better for some tasks and mine is better for others so we ended up keeping both.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Master Chef

Looks fine to me. I'd buy a bottle of mineral oil and rub it once in awhile so you can also use it as a cutting board.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie, do the wheels have locks on them? If they do, I see no reason why you can't use the KA right there on the cart. Just wheel it near your outlet and then lock the wheels.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Charlie, do the wheels have locks on them? If they do, I see no reason why you can't use the KA right there on the cart. Just wheel it near your outlet and then lock the wheels.
I would be concerned about shimmy. I don't think those wire shelves are braced well enough for something that big and powerful. Heck, my much smaller KA classic mixer (last of the Hobart-made models) used to make my dining room table shimmy. Not that it was all that sturdy, but definitely sturdier than a wire cart on wheels ...
Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
Head Chef

I don't think that you can use a piece of plywood as a cutting board. The veneer is very thin, thinner than a knife cut.