Needed good candy thermometer for fudge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garey

Assistant Cook
Ok,
Mom used to make fudge with the cold water soft ball method, she used the hersheys fudge recipe, very hard for me to make , then I tried the fantasy fudge recipe, much much easier recipe for success. I would like a good thermometer for fudge, I searched threads for candy thermometers and found none, I can't believe no one has ask, maybe I don't know how to search, when I did search candy thermometers, I came up with all kinds of stuff about candy ect, because everybody was telling others to use a good candy thermometer.

Can you recommend a good candy- fudge thermometer.

thanks
Garey

Why make it hard on yourself?

Simple fudge takes 1 bag chocolate chips, 1 can sweetened condensed milk and a dash of vanilla. Warm until chocolate is melted and pour into a greased baking dish or pan and chill.

There's no need to go through all that cooking, soft ball, hard ball stuff. You could, of course, but there are so many ways to goof it up.

The only way you could make the simple fudge better would be to buy more expensive chocolate to start with.

Last edited:
It's contact with the BOTTOM of the pan not the side that's uber critical:
When selecting a Candy and Oil Thermometer a few points to consider may be:
  • The ease with which the thermometer can be read
  • Types of display for the temperature readings such as centigrade, Fahrenheit, highest, lowest temperatures, and other relevant display options
  • The minimum depth of contents that can be read by the thermometer
  • The design of the thermometer so it can be kept from touching the pan bottom
  • Consider the potential for use in other cooking processes such as for cooking meats, baked goods, fried foods, jellies, jams, preserves, or other foods.

Last edited:
It's contact with the BOTTOM of the pan not the side that's uber critical:
When selecting a Candy and Oil Thermometer a few points to consider may be:
  • The ease with which the thermometer can be read
  • Types of display for the temperature readings such as centigrade, Fahrenheit, highest, lowest temperatures, and other relevant display options
  • The minimum depth of contents that can be read by the thermometer
  • The design of the thermometer so it can be kept from touching the pan bottom
  • Consider the potential for use in other cooking processes such as for cooking meats, baked goods, fried foods, jellies, jams, preserves, or other foods.

Thanks Bill. I guess I'll just make sure it doesn't touch the bottom and quit worrying about it.

what type of chocolate semi sweet, what size bag, I may try this one day, Of course you can always purchase a bag of hersheys kiss's chocolate if you want to go for easy, but I like the taste of homade fudge, and the last 5 or 6 batches have been great. I have noticed sometimes the fudge hardens a little faster I think depending on the temp, reached, I am using a very old cooper thermometer, just wanted to get a good candy thermometer, do you have a recommendation thanks garey

I went online and checked out the thermometers that you guys suggested, no one suggested a digital just wondering why, I like both thermometers that were suggested. I really like the idea of the paddle, but my main consern is accuracy. The fudge I make says stir constantly. So my guess is i can use the paddle thermometer to stir the fudge throught the cooking process untill I reach 234 to 240 degrees. Is that correct. or is the paddle just a way to keep the bulb off the bottom of the pan while you check temp, thanks garey

I made a batch last night. I used a plastic bowl with cooking spray, 2 minutes in the microwave, a stir and a half a bag of chopped walnuts.

I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. Hershey's kisses would taste good I'm sure, but you'd have to unwrap them.

Turned it out into a greased glass baking dish and stuck it in the fridge.

Total time about 5 minutes.

Last edited:
I made a batch last night. I used a plastic bowl with cooking spray, 2 minutes in the microwave, a stir and a half a bag of chopped walnuts.

I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. Hershey's kisses would taste good I'm sure, but you'd have to unwrap them.

Turned it out into a greased glass baking dish and stuck it in the fridge.

Total time about 5 minutes.

I am trying very hard, and succeeding so far, not to copy that recipe. I am such a pig with fudge, that I really don't need to know how to make it that easily. :pig: :LOL:

I am trying very hard, and succeeding so far, not to copy that recipe. I am such a pig with fudge, that I really don't need to know how to make it that easily. :pig: :LOL:

It would make such a quick dessert to go with your Armadillo and Roadkill.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (They said I had too many smileys so I had to take some out.):LOL:

Some of you guys are nuts, so no need to add any to your fudge. It is hard to believe you can melt chocolate with nuts, and come up with fudge. All I see is chocolate with nuts in it, and a nut that made it. :) Any body ever use a thermometer??

Why make it hard on yourself?

Simple fudge takes 1 bag chocolate chips, 1 can sweetened condensed milk and a dash of vanilla. Warm until chocolate is melted and pour into a greased baking dish or pan and chill.

There's no need to go through all that cooking, soft ball, hard ball stuff. You could, of course, but there are so many ways to goof it up.

The only way you could make the simple fudge better would be to buy more expensive chocolate to start with.

How many ounces in your bag of chocolate chips? They might not be the same here, in Canada.

Back
Top Bottom