New Rolling Pins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PolishedTopaz

Sous Chef
I just purchased two new rolling pins, one French and one standard both are made out of wood. Should I oil them before starting to use them as one would with a cutting board? And what is the best way to keep them clean?
Thanks All!

I don't know about oiling them. I don't recall ever doing that and I've had mine for over 30 years. I usually just wipe them down with a damp cloth when I'm done. I figure there's enough "fat" that gets into them through use.

As for storage, I have two like the ones you purchased and the way I store mine is that I've put a cup hook in one end of each and simply hang them on an "eye" hook from under my upper cabinets. Does that make sense? It's late right now but, tomorrow, I'll take a photo and show you.

I don't think you need to oil them, like katie said, they will soak up enough fat with use.

I usually take some of the flour that's left over where I rolled out whatever and rub off any bits of dough that are sticking to the rolling pin.

I've been meaning to get a French style rolling pin, right now I have the old fashioned one with the handles and it works well. I do as the others do and just wipe it with a damp cloth and store it. Mine is probably 15 years old and it is in great shape and still works great.

Not wishing to change the subject, but still on rolling pins Hows this for a good idea? It ensures pastry, pasta, fondant etc is rolled to an beautifully even thickness. Such a simple idea. I've ordered one and it should arrive during this week.

I have also a very useful long French pin, and a marble one which is good for pastry as it is always cool.

Attachments

• rolling pin.jpg
    rolling pin.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom