New Wok

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marajo

Cook
I have a new cast iron wok. I scrubbed it w/ hot soapy water and a plastic scrubber. I wiped the inside down w/ veg oil and let sit in a 350 oven for 1 hr. I wiped the inside down w/ paper towel and it p/u dayglow yellow-orange colored oil. Should I re-clean the wok w/ something like an SOS pad and re-season?

350 oven 1 hr. then I removed it per instructions w/ the wok. it is sticky and there is some kind of residue on bottom. I think I will start all over using sos pads.

Did you have the wok in the oven upside down or right side up? It sounds to me like you probably had it right side up and the fat pooled in the bottom of the wok. You want to do it again, but put the wok in upside down with something under it to catch the drips.

I'd use a hotter oven too. Yes marajo, scrub it out, but don't use SOS as they have detergent in them. You can get plain steel wool to use. Give it a scrub, dry it thoroughly, and then brush a light coating of oil on and do as GB suggests and put it upside down with a pan under it. Make the oven very hot though. 450 or higher. Make sure your hood fan is on! There will be smoke. Choose an oil with a high smoke point, DON'T use olive oil.

I agree with GB. Clean it off and start over. A LIGHT coating of shortening and back into the oven, upside down, for an hour at 350 F. Then turn off the oven and let the wok cool in the oven. Then you should be all set.

Are you sure it was cast iron and not carbon steel? I cannot imagine how heavy a cast iron wok would be! How could you get good action on the flip?

Are you sure it was cast iron and not carbon steel? I cannot imagine how heavy a cast iron wok would be! How could you get good action on the flip?

There are CI woks. I agree they would be hard to flip. I usually just stir and slide the wok back and forth.

Either way, the seasoning instructions are the same.

Oh yes, it is cast iron. A friend, whose family came to USA from China, has a light weight wok (from China)& a cast iron; she suggested I get cast iron. I am just a beginner-wokker! Thank you for the advice. I have plain steel wool and will scrub w/ Joy and hot water. And then season in hot oven w/ wok upside down. I am so excited about wokking!

marajo, try scrubbing with really hot water, the steel wool and NO Joy. CI retains bits of stuff and sometimes you will get a "soapy" taste if you use a detergent. If you can get it off without soap that would be best.

Best to use oven cleaner, put in a plastic garbage bag for a couple of hours rinse and wash. I use solid shortening instead of oil will not leave residue. Work in the shortening with paper towel, wipe off all remaining till shiney. Will work best if you have a gas grill. Turn all burners on, invert bake for an hour and shut off to cool.

I did re-scrub using hot water from tea kettle. 450 oven 1 hr. upside down w/ tray to catch the drip. Cooked my 1st stir fry w/ it last night. Mission accomplished! Thank you all for your help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom