"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Cook

New Wok

I have a new cast iron wok. I scrubbed it w/ hot soapy water and a plastic scrubber. I wiped the inside down w/ veg oil and let sit in a 350 oven for 1 hr. I wiped the inside down w/ paper towel and it p/u dayglow yellow-orange colored oil. Should I re-clean the wok w/ something like an SOS pad and re-season?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Everymom

How hot did you let the oven get? Was the oil smoking?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I've seen carbon steel do that but never cast iron.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Cook

350 oven 1 hr. then I removed it per instructions w/ the wok. it is sticky and there is some kind of residue on bottom. I think I will start all over using sos pads.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Did you have the wok in the oven upside down or right side up? It sounds to me like you probably had it right side up and the fat pooled in the bottom of the wok. You want to do it again, but put the wok in upside down with something under it to catch the drips.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
Everymom

I'd use a hotter oven too. Yes marajo, scrub it out, but don't use SOS as they have detergent in them. You can get plain steel wool to use. Give it a scrub, dry it thoroughly, and then brush a light coating of oil on and do as GB suggests and put it upside down with a pan under it. Make the oven very hot though. 450 or higher. Make sure your hood fan is on! There will be smoke. Choose an oil with a high smoke point, DON'T use olive oil.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree with GB. Clean it off and start over. A LIGHT coating of shortening and back into the oven, upside down, for an hour at 350 F. Then turn off the oven and let the wok cool in the oven. Then you should be all set.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
Mr. Greenjeans

Are you sure it was cast iron and not carbon steel? I cannot imagine how heavy a cast iron wok would be! How could you get good action on the flip?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
Are you sure it was cast iron and not carbon steel? I cannot imagine how heavy a cast iron wok would be! How could you get good action on the flip?
There are CI woks. I agree they would be hard to flip. I usually just stir and slide the wok back and forth.

Either way, the seasoning instructions are the same.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:25 AM   #10
Cook

Oh yes, it is cast iron. A friend, whose family came to USA from China, has a light weight wok (from China)& a cast iron; she suggested I get cast iron. I am just a beginner-wokker! Thank you for the advice. I have plain steel wool and will scrub w/ Joy and hot water. And then season in hot oven w/ wok upside down. I am so excited about wokking!