Non-Stick Wok

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyhome

Assistant Cook
Hi
I bought a Ken Hom non-stick wok over a year ago. I recently went to use it and noticed that the non-stick surface looked like it was bubbling off. Almost as if it was melted a bit? It looks as if the surface would peel off like a burst bubble of gloss paint.

I only used the wok about 5 times at most and have a normal electric cooker.

So my first question is, would this be unusual?
Secondly, if I have to get another one, any recomendations? (Saw a Tefal non stick wok in Homebase, will the same happen this?)

Many Thanks
Andy

In my opinion, non-stick surfaces and woks are not compatable. The key to wok cooking is high heat. High heat is the enemy of non-stick.

I recommend a carbon steel wok that you season as with cast iron. It will last a lifetime with little care.

I am going to partially agree with Andy. For traditional wok cooking he is correct, but there is nothing saying that a wok only had to be used in traditional high heat cooking. I have a non stick wok and I love it. I would never use it to make a stir fry or anything that requires very high heat though. I use it more like a large frying pan. I will make things in it that won't fit easily in my largest frying pan, like one pan chicken broccoli ziti or jambalaya or other things like that. A Dutch oven would work well for those things too, but sometimes you don't want to deal with a heavy pot. A non stick wok works well in these cases (sometimes).

It sounds like your non stick coating is bubbling because you used to much heat. As Andy said, high heat and non stick do not go together. If you did not use high heat then I would contact the manufacturer.

I will also second Andy's recommendation to get a carbon steel wok. It can do everything your non stick wok can do and more. After seasoning, it will be pretty much non stick anyway. They are very inexpensive and will last many lifetimes.

Hi,
I did have a cast iron wok before but now I don't really make stir fry any more and really just use it like a large capacity frying pan, as GB says.
Thanks
Andy

If all you're looking for is a wok-style fry pan, I've been using this one for about a year and am very happy with it. I call it my everyday pan because I use it so much, even though it's not a true everyday pan. It would be nice if it was dishwasher safe, but it cleans very easily with no effort.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom