"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Cool thread I agree..........the worst purchase to date was the Cuisinart "grind and brew" coffee machine. Danged thing NEVER has worked right. Hefty chunk o' change. WASTED!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I bought a slap chopper for $15. I never use it. I was looking for one of those jars with the chopping element attached through the screw on lid like my mom used to have. It was great for chopping nuts without scattering them all over the kitchen.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Vince's Slap Chop ad may go down as the funniest info-ad in history for the one line I won't mention!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

My mandolin, ice cream maker, electric meat slicer, potato ricer, toaster, fish spatula, garlic press, garlic peeler, Depression Glass batter bowl.

I do more baking than cooking now. Mostly for the kids. And as fast as I bake it, it goes out the door. Some of these tools I have had for many moons.

I could hold a yard sale.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Once again at DC we discover that those gadgets useless to some are vaunted by others. For everybody who likes something somebody else hates it, and vice versa.

For example the garlic press. In my case it's the Zyliss and I really like it, but not for all jobs. It produces sort of mushy threads which work fine in some recipes, but sometimes I want a very fine mince, sometimes finely chopped, sometimes coarsely chopped. Garlic presses are good at what they do but they can't be all things to all people and all recipes.

My Zyliss cleans out easily. I hold it under warm running water and poke out most of the garlic inside with my finger, then flip it over (output side up) and rub the surface with my thumb to push through bits that are stuck in the holes, and let the water force the bits out. Repeat once and it's as clean as a whistle, ready to be dried and put away for another time. (A dishwasher is unlikely to clean those little bits out, or at least not all the time.)

I have a couple stick blenders too (one is a Cuisinart). Stick blenders are useful in some jobs but again they aren't useful in many other purposes. I particularly like a stick blender when I have a small amount that I want super-blended and don't want to bring out a bigger tool. They're easy to clean too, just pop the immersion part and run it under hot water for half a minute, maybe throw a bit of soap on it if you've been blending something oily or greasy. Or throw it in the dish washer I guess.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Most any product sold by Jarden Corp companies. The Kitchen Aid RVSA rotary slicer shredder.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #17
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I bought a slap chopper for $15. I never use it. I was looking for one of those jars with the chopping element attached through the screw on lid like my mom used to have. It was great for chopping nuts without scattering them all over the kitchen.
Kathleen bought one of those once. Not sure who's or how much it was. I put some onion under it and hit the thing. The onion stayed on the blades when it came back up. I cleared it and hit it again and tossed it in the trash after breaking it.

I think it was a mall kiosk purchase. Horrible.. horrible...
Old 03-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Most any product sold by Jarden Corp companies. The Kitchen Aid RVSA rotary slicer shredder.
That's funny. I have a Moulinex meat grinder with a rotary shredder. The shredder/grater/slicer gets used more than the meat grinder.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
Master Chef

I have had a couple of slow cookers that couldn't hold a full load of food when lifted. I won't purchase a slow cooker with a plastic handle, period!

I have had two immersion belnders where the immersion wand either froze up, or held liquids in them that couldnt' be removed, ruining the wand for future use.

I was given a Black & Decker Gizmo, with attachments. It was so underpowered as to be useless.

On the other hand, a Saws-All is a great tool for removing chine bones from a pork crown roast preparation.

I too have no use for a garlic press.

I despise teflon pans, except for making pancakes and french toast on. And I know that they will only last a few years before requiring replacement.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Chief, never heard of a Saws-All. I googled. Is it a reciprocating saw?

Tags
kitchen