"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post
I bought a kitchen item with attachments for all kinds of slicing, dicing... I bought it in a good will shop, and ended up giving it back to them after using it just once, because it looked so dangerous, that I would have to concentrate completely on not cutting myself when using and washing it.

I wonder how many hands that good will stuff ends up in.
I wonder how many hands your re-donation will end cutting up.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #42
Head Chef

Definitely the garlic press. Tried it once and never used it again. Hated it.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
Definitely the garlic press. Tried it once and never used it again. Hated it.
Hated it for what reason?

As I said earlier in the topic, I sometimes use my garlic press and sometimes I don't, depending on whether I want the garlic maximally minced (in which case I use my press). But there's all kinds of garlic textures from coarsely chopped to finely minced and a garlic press has only one kind of result. It's not going to be any good if you want a different coarseness.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #44
Cook

I would have to say that this little gadget was the worst thing every purchased/received. I am all about gadgets/pans/tools, just ask my filled to capacity cabinets in my rather small kitchen. My mom gave me this for Christmas this past year. I was fascinated by it, like ooooo what is this?!?! Turns out it is a garlic chopper thingy. I love garlic, and us it quite often. I normally love chopping it, as I feel like it improves my knife skills. But I loved the idea of having quickly minced garlic, especially when cooking a small dish for myself. You pop the top open, throw unpeeled garlic in, close the lid, and roll the little wheels back and forth, and the internal blades chop it all up. The thing worked great, the garlic was in a perfectly fine mince, and the peel was separated. But try actually getting the garlic OUT of the contraption. We all know how sticky garlic gets, it literally clings to the blades and housing of this thing. I used it once, took 15 minutes to clean it, and sock-drawered the thing. I am tempted to throw it away every time I see it, but somehow I feel like if I do, my mom will know......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture or Video 116.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	13104  
Old 03-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaluvstocook View Post
That would have made a great "What is it?" topic!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #46
Executive Chef

That thing looks like a plastic skull on wheels. It's creeping me out!

I have an old, chipped white enameled garlic press that I wish I could put on my keychain. I don't use it often but it's a hoss and performs like a gladiator when I need it.

I'm not much for kitchen gadgets but I love my garlic press.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #47
Cook

Ha, dang Greg, I wish I would have thought of that before I posted! And you are soooo right Damp, it is rather odd. It looks like the little robot things that people fight in a ring. I am pretty sure that it steals my breath at night......
Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaluvstocook View Post
Ha, dang Greg, I wish I would have thought of that before I posted! And you are soooo right Damp, it is rather odd. It looks like the little robot things that people fight in a ring. I am pretty sure that it steals my breath at night......
There are prayers and rituals to deal with that sort of thing!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal View Post
That thing looks like a plastic skull on wheels. It's creeping me out!
You know what would be creepy is if you put it in a kitchen drawer, and then wake up the next morning and it's sitting on your covers at the foot of your bed!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #50
Cook

Greg, DUDE, thanks alot for fueling my nightmares tonight, sheesh. I tried to put a root on the thing but it just laughed. The only thing I know is burying its drawers in the yard, but that would just keep it from leaving, smh.....

Tags
kitchen