Oh, YUCK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I was washing the dishes from today's cheesecake attempt. I had used my nice silicone plastic spatula to scrap the bowl with. As I was washing it, I noticed that the scraping part was separating from the handle slightly. I pushed on it, and sure enough, it completely separated. I wasn't to worried, as I've had a couple other untensils do this. What I did notice was that INSIDE the hole of the scraper I could see some dark "stuff". Now, the handle is black, and the scraper is translucent. I immediately grabbed the nipple brush, stuck it into the hole of the scraper, and scrubbed. Everything came out, luckily. I've got the two pieces drying right now. I have the perfect cure, some Elmer's Ultimate Glue. I've used this before on some of my plastic two-piece kitchen tools, like my OXO good-grips vegetable peeler (notorious for coming apart).

I hate when that happens! I recently bought some silicone high temperature spatulas that are one piece construction - a continuous layer of silicone from tip to tip with no seams! The only way to go.

It's also happened to me as well!

But I just merely cleaned the rust off that end of the handle and slid the silicone scraper back on.

But the handle isn't supposed to rust at all, since it is stainless steel!! Usually, when the scraper is dry, the holding power to the handle returns again.

I love my silicone scrapers - I grab them constantly - but I have the same problem with the spatula separating from the wooden handle. That black color I assumed was mildew - water seeping in? I scrubbed the end and let it try out before replacing the silicone spatula on the end. Now I handwash my spatulas and do not allow them to soak to avoid water seeping under the scraper part

Try using a little bit of bleach next time you wash them.

And separate the spatula again from the handle. This should ultimately kill any mold / mildew spores that might have re-occured there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom