Oil Strainer from Automotive Section.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I came up with an idea the other day to strain my fryer oil. I bought a funnel with a screen in it from the Automotive section at a local dept store. I waited until the next morning for the oil to be cooled before pouring it back in the plastic bottle it came in. The funnel worked like a charm. There wasn't a speck of anything in the oil. It also comes apart for easy cleaning. Not bad for 6 bucks. It is clear plastic, and the oil was cool, so it should be safe to use... What do you think?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 248
My only hesitation is if it is food grade plastic...other than that...good thinking!!!

To tell you honestly, it seems like the same soft plastic you would get margarine in large flat containers. I can't see it being any different than the plastic containers you buy at Wally world or the dollar store. Has a recycle logo on it. I figure if the oil is room temperature .....

Last edited:
To tell you honestly, it seems like the same soft plastic you would get margarine in large flat containers. I can't see it being any different than the plastic containers you buy at Wally world or the dollar store. Has a recycle logo on it. I figure if the oil is room temperature .....

Just let us know if your eyes change color or you grow that third arm:)

Good thinking. Way to think outside the box.
I wouldn't be concerned if it was food grade unless I was storing oil in it, PF. But then people used to say my eyes used to be blue

Good thinking. Way to think outside the box.
I wouldn't be concerned if it was food grade unless I was storing oil in it, PF. But then people used to say my eyes used to be blue

And I see you scratching behind your ear with a third arm...:ROFLMAO:

I use one of those every day at work! Since I deal with clean compressor oil, I took the screen out. I'll have to get a new one for the kitchen. Thanks.

I use the top part of the Melitta coffee pot I have with a coffee filter. It works for me. I store used oil in the fridge and try to remember to take it out before I want to use it. If I use it for s/thing other than veggies, I store it in the basement and use as fire starter for my wood stove.

Back
Top Bottom